Celeron D or Core 2 Duo

Brian1960

I apparently fried my motherboard a week or so ago, posted about that in another thread.

I bought a used/refurbished Celeron D cheap just to see if it was the MB or my CPU and apparently it's the motherboard.

I now have a Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz E6300 and a Celeron D 346 3.06Ghz CPU. My question is will the Celeron be faster than the Core 2? I know the FSB is different but I'm no whiz at what does what.

I most likely will be purchasing a MSI G41M4-F motherboard as it does support both CPU's. I also have 1 GIG of RAM but may upgrade that as well.

Also, and I may have to post this elsewhere but I've read that when changing the MB I will have to reinstall XP. I was going to wipe my drive and do a clean install but seeing as I can't access all my data, pictures and what not on my drive will I just be able to reinstall XP without losing everything else. I haven't done this stuff in a few years but I have built 4 or 5 computers.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

A search on CPUBenchmark.net shows a score of 1116 vs 368 (C2D vs Celeron).

You can boot the computer w/ some sort of Linux live CD and backup the data before wiping the drive & reinstall Windows.

Back