TechSpot

Censoring file sharing sites isn't effective at curbing piracy

By Shawn Knight
Jan 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Research from Boston's Northeastern University suggests that shutting down known pirate domains is not an effective method for curbing illegal file sharing. Instead, copyright owners should focus their efforts on blocking a site's ability to process payments from a credit...

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 385   +70

Makes a lot of sence, to bad the dumb movie and music industry are too short sighted to realize this. I would make a website with all vailable HD movies and chare like maybe 5 dollars for movies and be able to dwonload and play anytime I want. Kind of like steam but for movies.

3. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

I completely agree
    A "Steam"-like service would do wonders for the entertainment industry.
    I know that I spent well in excess of $200 on the Steam Winter Sale, even on titles that I had never heard of but liked the way the synopsis read.

4. I use to DL a movie here and there. Netflix has changed that completely. One of the many reasons is netflix, for me, is better than piracy. To pirate a movie I would have to dl it which would take about 10-30 minutes. Netflix takes about 0-30 seconds to start the movie. Well worth the monthly fee. If there was a service that streamed the vast majored of there movies in DTS 5.1 and a higher bit rate I would switch to that in a heart beat.

5. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

That, and get rid of stupid Geo-Blocking so we can all enjoy services like Netflix without 3rd party proxies and credit/payment services

6. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Completely agree. Steam leads the way for consumer downloads. Unfortunately no one is listening in Hollywood.

7. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 326   +38

The industry won't adapt. They'll pay for their stupidity.

You can't kill piracy.

m4a4 likes this.
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

You don't say :]

9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 241   +31

This is the latest installment in a growing line of studies that all indicate, in general, the same thing. One study indicated that users who "pirate" actually buy more music than those who do not pirate. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8337887.stm

10. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Piracy websites are like cockroaches. You kill one 30 more show up. Until there is a definative way to lock down content, ppl will continue to pirate, because it is free. 90% of the ppl who admitted to piracy always claim two reasons for thier piracy. It was free, and they cant afford to pay for a movie/music. Kinda odd when you think how much they would spend on a PC. Second excuse is that they are "fighting" the MPAA/RIAA/SOPA ect. It still boils down to changes being needed. Either changes in how we as a society view theft. Or changes in the Law dealing with copyright protected materials.

11. Stickmansam

Stickmansam TS Rookie

"simply by offering legitimate services that are more attractive than pirating copyrighted media."
    This.
    I have spent more money on steam games simply because they are so cheap and easy to get with high uptime and reliability.

12. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Enthusiast Posts: 131   +22

Once Spotify came around I actually started paying as $9.99 a month for unlimited music is reasonable. In order for movies to do the same they would have to hit $19.99 a month unlimited. I could see a small delay of like a week after DVD release or something. Until they can offer something like that they will continue to suffer. I see that being a long way off yet...they have to suffer a few more years when more people are rebelling than paying...Only then do they give you a reasonable price. I always laughed at people paying $1 or more per song...that is way over priced.

13. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Problem with a Steam-like service for movies/television is that the industry is still greedy. You'll definitely need more than one service (we already have this to some extent) and I really can't see the prices beating out piracy for good. Where there is a 'pirate' there is a way.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.