Certain folder freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this certain folder in My Documents that freezes up when I access it. I can view the files, but when I click on any of them, I don't get a preview, not even that blue border that appears whenever you click on a thumbnail. I'll try to close the window, but that won't work so I have to hit Alt+Ctrl+Delete to end it.

Also, it takes a while for the thumbnails to actually appear in that folder. It's strange, because I can only scroll down. And when I click on File, Edit, View, etc, a menu doesn't pop up like it's supposed to.

All my other folders work fine; it's just that certain one that's been giving me trouble. I only have 40.3 MB in there so I don't know if that's the problem.

If anyone could help out, I'd really appreciate it. I have some important files saved in there for a portfolio, so I'd hate to delete it (if it came to that).

So you can open the folder with a double-click, but you can't open any of the files?

What kinds of files are these. You mention thumbnails- have you tried to set another View? You do not do this using the path you gave. You do this by clicking on the 'view box' to the right of the folder icon, above your files. this will give the choices of thumbnails, icons, tiles, list and details.

Try changing the view, then right click> open on any of the files.

Does the directory have video files? If so, explorer might be trying to create thumbnails of them.

You can disable video thumbnails by running regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll.

If you want to revert it later (enable video thumbnails), run regsvr32 shmedia.dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back