Certain games crashing on custom PC build (BSOD)

By Chris404
Aug 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Ok, so I'm having a few different types of bluescreen errors on my computer.
    First off, specs of importance:

AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (Core name is AMD bulldozer)
    16 GB RAM DDR3
    Radeon HD 5670 1GB Graphics card
    1 TB HD
    Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I've had a multitude of errors, sometimes I wont have a problem for a while.
    I've had memory errors and those LESS_EQUAL_ type things.
    Also, sometimes when certain games go to full window mode upon startup I wont get to see a blue-screen and instead I suddenly notice that my computer has restarted.

All cooling is checked out and I havn't seen anything
    New build so there isn't any dust in the whole case, and the case has all the wires routed through a side pannel out of the way for good airflow.
    only CERTAIN games crash, I was suspect of my graphics card until I opened up skyrim on Ultra, with mods for even higher detail textures, and it all works out just fine...

Games crashing upon opening are:
    "Blacklight: Retribution" and the new "Counter Strike: Global Offensive"

I've checked my Direct X Version and I'm on 11 so I figure that isnt the problem.

I doubt it's related, but for some reason the silverlight pluggin for netflix crashes occasionally for no apparent reason...

I'm pretty sure all my drivers (definitely my GPU) is up-to-date but there hasn't been any change.

Maybe I missed a step on calibrating something with custom builds?
    Thanks so much.
  2. Chris404

Chris404 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

had an error watching youtube ( I swear it's getting worse)

Memory Management
    Tech info was like 0x0000000A1

I've also had the 0x0000007E or something similar in the past
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

Okay, the first thing to do is to check the memory. Go here:
    http://www.memtest.org/
    download the pre-complied 4.20 iso file and burn it to a CD or DVD. Boot the computer using the disk and let the program run for at least 7 passes. Any errors detected mean trouble
  4. Chris404

Winzip wants a subscription, any free tools for zip files?
    NVM. 7-ZIP
  5. Tmagic650

Windows 7 has a built-in zip function. Select all the files you want to zip, right-click and choose "send to compressed(zipped)folder"
  6. Chris404

Well I meant for unzipping. and I'm having a hard time getting it to boot from disk, it says it is but the program isn't running. I've selected boot from disk manually via F9 and also from BIOS priority boot-from-disk.

Says it "Cannot open output file", on the disk, it remains a ZIP file
  7. Tmagic650

The term is extract all files. Select the zip file and extract all files. Select the iso file and Windows will open a burn dialog
  8. Chris404

Ok, I've tried burning just the origional file and booting, I've extracted once and burned that (but it's still a ZIP file in "type) even though it ends in .iso, and then I tried extracting yet AGAIN which leaves only 3 files, two BOOT folders and a readme, which also didnt work.

.... either I'm and ***** and/or I'm missing something....

Edit: ok, this is a bit clearer.
    I extract and it gives me a folder named memtest64.iso, but upon opening that folder via double click it is a zip file inside. burning that ISO and restart l didn't work.
    I extracted the zip file within that origional after loading and burned that, that gives me a MT420 file which didnt work.

I've got one last idea, but perhaps I'm an ***** and need more literal step-by-step instructions.
  9. Tmagic650

Yes you should see MT420 labeled disk image file. select it and the burn window should open. Insert a blank cd or dvd and burn the file to the disk. Set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the bios, and restart the computer with the disk in the drive
  10. Chris404

Ok, I'm gonna try it again, but there is a file within one of the BOOT folders that is still a zip file. is that an issue?

Edit: Ok, the main file on the disk is the mt420, inside of that is a readme, and two BOOT folders. the MT wasn't a zip file, it was a 'File Folder" as a "type". it isnt a .iso file. the computer looks at the DVD, and then just ignores it and goes on to boot up from harddisk.
    (headache, why is this so complicated for me?)
  11. Tmagic650

12. Tmagic650

This is what you should see and click on to open the burn dialog
  13. Chris404

I"m not seeing the "type" as "Disk image file".
    After initial extraction from the memtest64 file, it's a zip, I extract again and I get a folder, not a "Disk image file".
  14. Tmagic650

You need to get it to show disk image file. I downloaded the memtest86+-420.iso compressed(zipped)folder. Clicked on it, selected extract all files and that's it. Click on the MT420 and it should open the burn window
  15. Chris404

I dont have an "Extract all files" option, I have "extract here" as an option, but "All files" isn't one of them since I dont want to pay for winzip. I'm using 7-ZIP
  16. Tmagic650

17. Chris404

Yes, I have that file, but I cant "extract all", it isn't an option.
  18. Tmagic650

If you click on that link I posted in reply 16, it should automatically download to your computer. It is a zipped file so the Extract All Files should be available. Extract that file and you should only see 1 file. This file is shown in reply 11... The file should be a disk image file. When you click on it, the burn dialog should open
    You mention memtest64 file. This should be memtest86 version 4.20
  19. Chris404

Ok, I finally got it to work via burning on another friends comp.

No memory errors.
    =/
    Any other ideas?
    I tried to play the game Rift and I can only stay ingame for a few seconds before it crashes (just the game).
    Almost everything crashes eventually now that I think about it, the time it takes varies.

Hope it helps in diagnosing the issue.
  20. Tmagic650

I'm concerned that this computer might have some malware or other issues because of the "Memtest86 burn issue" here. What is the make and model of the 1TB hard drive?
  21. Chris404

22. Tmagic650

Okay, its now on to the video card and it's drivers... But first, is Windows fully updated including all the optional updates? To run Windows Update manually go to all programs, Windows Update. Run it until no more updates are found, then run it once more. After doing this, look for an update for your video card from the AMD/ATI support site here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx You can use the automatic detection feature
  23. Chris404

Windows is up to date, I just downloaded the drivers for my GPU a day or two ago

(also reseated my gpu, and one of the games that kept booting me is working now, coincidence most likely)
  24. Tmagic650

Okay good...
  25. Chris404

that is only one of them, others continue too refuse to even startup.
    Any other ideas that could cause program instability?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.