TechSpot

Change laptop to boot from cd first without entering bios?

By ovvn.you
May 26, 2007
  1. Ok heres the thing, i need to install windows xp on my hard drive but my computer is set to boot from hard drive first... i can not get into bios setup because i bought the computer from a pawn shop and they didnt give me a password to it.... I can however hit esc to see boot menu... but i cant seem to move the devices around....
    PhoenixBios 4.0 release 6.0
    heres what it looks like

1. +Hard Drive
    2. +Removable Drives
    3. CDROM Drive
    4. LAN (something like that, irrelevant)

is there a hotkey to move these guys around? ive pretty much hit every key on my keyboard to no avail... moving to number 3 and hitting enter doesnt help either. plz reply , any help works... i havent called hp for password to bios because they will require some type of receipt or something to prove i didnt steal it.... i didnt keep my receipt from the pawn shop

thx in advance

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,190   +227

You've tried the corresponding 1,2,3,4 numbers? Or hilight the device you want to boot first then hit a left or right arrow?

3. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

You have to set the bios boot sequence to have your cd drive
    listed first.
    Where do you get if you just start the computer and wait. ?
    Try Tmagic's way if you get the option.But i think you need an OS installed.
    Does it have an OS installed now ?
    Did you get a Motherboard cd ? and a manual might help answer this.
    I think there a way,but you need to know more about this PC to do this.

4. ovvn.you

ovvn.you TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 98

thanks for trying guys, however, when i hit enter on the "CDROM Drive" it WAS trying booting from cd... but my xp cd was faulty.... someone delete this worthless thread plz :haha:

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,190   +227

Thanks for giving us the update...

Happy Computing!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.