Changed drive letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bielius

I partioned my HDD in 2 partitions, C(system) and E. i was trying to change the second part. from E to D, so i went to some forum, and edited the registry(i think i swaped between C and D) so windows search OS in D, but i have OS in C.
so is there any way to swap em back? i can't boot to windows, when it loads, instead of Welcome, it shows little windows xp logo in the middle of the screen. i tried the command in repair console starting like fixfmb(or something similar) but it didn't work.

I really need help from you guys :(

Absolutely no reason to make changes to the registry for what you're attempting to do (assuming I understand). Try tapping F8 shortly after you power on your system (before Windows loads) and see if you can get in by using the "Last Known Good Configuration".

If at any point you get in, all you'd have to do is go to Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > right click on partition "(E:)" > Change Drive Letter and Paths... > Change > then assign it to letter D. If something is already occupying D, move it elsewhere.

*Edit*

Oh, and despite the fact that you might feel some urgency in your situation, 2 hours really isn't a long enough time to wait before bumping.

no, none of those F8 settings worked. now im doing Repair, but the Repair is very slow like never before.

If the repair fails, you'll basically be left with two doors that I can think of. One of which is probably going to be more of a pain than the other - but that's for you to decide I suppose.

You'll have to edit the registry from outside Windows (this, in my opinion would be more difficult for you) or just cut your losses, back up any data you want (which should be easy enough if your HDD is partitioned) and reinstall Windows.

:) In the future, back up your registry before making changes.

yes the repair worked, but a question. if i save the backup registry. so what is the point of that, because if i don't get to windows, i can't use the backup? or there's some another way to back up the registry from the backup file?

Creating a restore point prior to making changes is probably the most practical and easy method for a standard user.

Modifying the Windows registry from outside of Windows isn't too difficult. It can be done via quite a few third party environments, some of which are specifically designed for it (like PC Regedit) as well as with another installation of Windows I believe.

:) Good work on the repair!

Yes, it worked, but the RAM checking on POST is very long, i mean before it loaded after about 10 seconds, now 10 seconds it loads about 100mb from 1.5 GB.
and the Welcome screen is very long, i left it now to load, because i have another computer i write from.

*EDIT*
Now the Windows(healty) partition is D, and the second partition is E.
is it possible to make the D go to the C, and the E go to the D? going thru administrative tools, etc there you can't change the letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back