Changing mobo: when do I clean reinstall Windows XP?

By WooWon
Nov 25, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm about to swap out my mobo (as well as my CPU, video card and RAM) and I just need to get one thing straight before I do it. Should I do a clean reinstall of my current OS (clean, as in wiping HD clean) before I put the new mobo in? Or do I install the mobo, then reinstall my OS? Also, I plan to eventually upgrade from my current OS, XP, to Vista. Should I do this now in the midst of my mobo change or wait until my new mobo is good to go (w/ BIOS and drivers) with XP? Sorry if I confused any or you.
  2. zipperman

zipperman Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,423   +7

I don't think so.Just connect the current HD as Primary Master and
    Check your mbd boot options to make it first.
    A new HD is the only reason i see for a new install,but can be set as Secondary.
    BTW Installing these devices requires an experienced user as there are
    settings in the bios to do first.
    Get a Motherboard Manual and CD
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

4. WooWon

WooWon Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So you're saying that I should first install the new mobo, turn the computer on and then run a repair install of Windows XP?
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Yes :)

Also (seeming I'm replying so briefly)

If, you are updating the Bios revision make sure to do that before installing Windows
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.