Changing new hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm planning to change a new hard disk drive. Can anyone tell me what is the step(s) to be done? Do i need to reformat my hard disk?

Regards,
Michael

Hello, I'm planning to change a new hard disk drive.
If you read this over, you'll realize it doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense.

It seems more likely that you're trying to replace a worn out drive , or add a new, extra drive for storage. But, that's just a wild guess.

Try posting back with a little more information, such as make and model of HDD, what computer/motherboard it's going into, with a little clearer explanation of what you're actually trying to do, and we'll have a better shot at helping you.

simple. Use a cloning program like acronis or migrate easy to clone your old data to the new drive - unless you want to a clean install. (your choice.) This is easy, and will work fine if going from IDE to IDE, or SATA to SATA. Ensure you let the cloning program finish completely or you'll end up with TWO corrupted disks that you will have to format and you will lose all data.

I however, recommend going with a fresh install and just copy the data you need from the old drive. If doing a fresh install, just remove the old drive, replace it with the new drive and install your OS with all the programs you need. Keep your old drive as a secondary backup device or use it for additional storage (or both) !

If you are switching types of drives like IDE to SATA, you will need to have your SATA drivers handy and you will need to do a fresh install. You cannot clone as your OS will not have the SATA drivers on the cloned drive and it will not boot. Have your SATA drivers on a floppy drive handy when XP tells you to install the drivers. You will need to put the disk in with the drivers and hit F6.

If you have another type of OS, follow the prompts.

Now i need to back up the registry. Can you guide me how to do it? Can I used back the serial number to install OS (Window XP)?

Now i need to back up the registry. Can you guide me how to do it? Can I used back the serial number to install OS (Window XP)?

Not sure what that actually means :confused:
But if you want to just back up your Windows CD key, then see here:
Keyfinder 1.06
http://majorgeeks.com/Keyfinder_Thing_Lite_d5253.html
License: Freeware
Requires: Win All

Then put your Windows CD back in, remove the partition during the initial Setup
Then continue installing Windows :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back