Changing security icons to text

learninmypc

Is it possible to change the icons for Spybot,Avast,Mbam,SAS & SpywareBlaster to TEXT ONLY on a Vista Home Premium pc?
I'm trying to figure a way to help a friend know how to update & run his security programs as needed. TIA:)

I'm not sure of a why to change the icon to a text only icon (without actually creating an icon with the desired text), but couldn't you just rename the shortcut to whatever you want? You might need to just create a wordpad or Word document with screen shots too.

I'm not sure of a why to change the icon to a text only icon (without actually creating an icon with the desired text), but couldn't you just rename the shortcut to whatever you want? You might need to just create a wordpad or Word document with screen shots too.
Obviously I know nothing about how to do such. I emailed him a month or so ago with detailed instructions on how to update each program,but he had no clue what I was saying so I figured he might understand reading the name instead of looking for an icon.
If wordpad or a Word Document is necessary,I'd have to have step by step directions.:)

Hi, So what 's needed here is a program to up each program automatically?
Or at least to give a warning when updates are available? There are a few that will do that.
This is one,
http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software-Inspector/3000-2162_4-10717855.html
But most programs can be set to give alerts if updates are available, the option is sometimes in the 'help' menu.

*If you want to change an icon you need to right-click on it, choose properties (last on list). It will open with the 'shortcut' tab selected. Click on 'Change icon', and you will see a choice of about 100 alternatives.
*If you want to design the icons from scratch, you can do that, one program is at;
http://greenfish.cixx6.com/ That's for Greenfish icon editor pro~ Download version 3.0 (Green link, lower left).

Hi, So what 's needed here is a program to up each program automatically?
Or at least to give a warning when updates are available? There are a few that will do that.
This is one,
http://download.cnet.com/Secunia-Personal-Software-Inspector/3000-2162_4-10717855.html
But most programs can be set to give alerts if updates are available, the option is sometimes in the 'help' menu.

*If you want to change an icon you need to right-click on it, choose properties (last on list). It will open with the 'shortcut' tab selected. Click on 'Change icon', and you will see a choice of about 100 alternatives.
*If you want to design the icons from scratch, you can do that, one program is at;
http://greenfish.cixx6.com/ That's for Greenfish icon editor pro~ Download version 3.0 (Green link, lower left).
OK, let me elaborate a bit now. This friend of mine doesn't leave his Vista Home Premium pc on all the time like I or some others might do. He might be online a few hours a day so if Secunia PSI would update the definition(s) at the times he was online,fine & wonderful.
I myself recently updated mine & found the same updates as before the newer version.
I'm guessing its probably going to be easier for me just to update & run his scans for him as he watches in hopes he catches on.
I might try the Greenfish program on an icon or two on my pc to see how much easier it might be.Thanks :)

Hi, I find many of my programs give warnings, such as Adobe, so it's not easy to miss that.
The security programs such as 'Adaware' will get the latest updates automatically, and most similar will do the same, as it is so important.
If the main security on your friends pc is MS Security Essentials, then 'Start', 'All programs', 'Windows update' will do the job.
* I saw this icon editor too, it's free and is at;
http://www.seanau.com/free_icon_toolkit/

In my first post, I mentioned the programs on his pc. I installed them myself because his pc had none.
Will check that link out.Thanks.

I see this is an old thread- but the point will never get old: If someone is going to use a computer, that person must take some responsibility for it. I really have a problem when I read of situations like this.

Yes, you can put just about everything on auto-update, but I don't recommend it:
1. ANY update has the potential to cause system problems.
2. SOME programs such as the Adobe reader and Java MUST be kept updated for security reasons- but you may not think of them as 'security programs.'

he had no clue what I was saying
If you do "everything" for your friend, you are doing him a disservice. It's not your job to change everything on HIS system- it's his to change what is in the parameters of the operating system to make it easier for him to deal with. Better yet, make out a list of what needs to be tended to> give him the responsibility of caring for his own system. As long as he can get someone else to do the work, he will never learn!

Help him to understand the importance of having good and current security- advise him of the possibilities of identity theft, stolen passwords, personal information stolen, financial transactions accessed. Be sure he understands that he is not only using a convenience, but also a potential weapon.

I see this is an old thread- but the point will never get old: If someone is going to use a computer, that person must take some responsibility for it. I really have a problem when I read of situations like this.

Yes, you can put just about everything on auto-update, but I don't recommend it:
1. ANY update has the potential to cause system problems.
2. SOME programs such as the Adobe reader and Java MUST be kept updated for security reasons- but you may not think of them as 'security programs.'

If you do "everything" for your friend, you are doing him a disservice. It's not your job to change everything on HIS system- it's his to change what is in the parameters of the operating system to make it easier for him to deal with. Better yet, make out a list of what needs to be tended to> give him the responsibility of caring for his own system. As long as he can get someone else to do the work, he will never learn!

Help him to understand the importance of having good and current security- advise him of the possibilities of identity theft, stolen passwords, personal information stolen, financial transactions accessed. Be sure he understands that he is not only using a convenience, but also a potential weapon.
You are most correct. I tried sending him tutorials on the programs he has,but Bleeping computer hasn't updated them in a long time, last time I checked.
I even emailed him step by step directions as I did mine in hopes he would do so but he later said he did not understand what I was saying.
Bobbye,you are very correct "but the point will never get old: If someone is going to use a computer, that person must take some responsibility for it. I really have a problem when I read of situations like this.".
Ditto. Unfortunatly the pc manufacturers don't give a damn. It should be mandatory to learn how to install/update & run security programs if one wants a pc.
I think I'll send him the link to this thread in hopes it helps.
Thanks to all for your valuable input.(y)

You're welcome. I appreciate your taking me seriously. If I had my way, everyone would have to learn, take a test and pass it and get a license to use a computer!

They are using an instrument with a potential to be used for serious attacks like the
Flame & Stuxnet Virus

The job of the manufacturer is to make money. The job of any company that sells the computer is to make money. So maybe we need something like the Department of Computer Knowledge to teach, test and issue a license> DCK?

Query your friend in just what it is that he does not understand.

Yes, I've heard about the Flame & Stuxnet Virus. Not good.
Unfortunately too many people in the world just want to get online & surf. Then they ***** when their pc don't work correctly.
I've fixed a few of them with the help of the experts here in TS.

Back