Changing Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed a computer from the "WORKGROUP" workgroup to another workgroup called, "SUNSTONE". The computers login name was Administrator with no password. When I reset the computer, the computer no longer booted right into Windows 2000 professional. Now it's asking me for a username and password. The username was prefilled with "Administrator", which was the username before. I left the password field blank, because there wasn't one and it tells me the it's not able to log in. HELP! I didn't change from a domain to a workgroup, I changed from a workgroup to another workgroup. What can I do?

Changing a work group would not do this. It would be something else you did before that!

Are you saying just clicking OK without a password does not work?

And you are sure it was using Administrator before?

And that you are sure you did not set as DOMAIN?

Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del twice in a row and see if you get other users or an option to set a password. If so for now give it a password. Can be cleared later if you want.

Mike

That's why i'm confused. I know I only changed from a workgroup to another workgroup. Yes I am just clicking OK without a password. The account was "Administrator" before. Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del twice didn't do anything. I tried it fast and slow and a lot of times.

Shutdown.

Unplug network cable.

Turn on boot back up in Safe Mode.

Let me know what happens.

mike

Ok, I unplugged the network cable and it's in safe mode. It still brings up the username and password screen. I'm still not able to log in. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del twice, did nothing. The screen does say safe mode on top.

OK then the OS had a remembered password and was automatically logging you on with it.

Changing the Workgroup only made it prompt for the password.

You better start guessing at the password as we can not help you crack a password as we have no proof that you are the owner.

This really may be your computer but we can not be sure as this is what someone would do if they were trying to get into someone elses computer.

If it is yours i hope you can guess what you may have put as the password.

Mike

Thanks for the help. The automatically logging me on sounds like the culprit. I will get in contact with the technician that originally set the computer up and get the password from him. I hope he remembers. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back