Charge your iPhone using other iPhones with ChargeBite

By Shawn Knight
Mar 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new product by the name of ChargeBite aims to revolutionize the way you charge your iPhone. Marketed as a social charger, the device leeches juice from two other iPhones and feeds it to the drained handset just as fast...

Read more
  2. If this is such a big issue, why would your other friend want to waste his battery too? It really relies on your friends being willing on halving their battery life for you which outside of emergencies I can't really see happening.
  3. Sunny87

Sunny87 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

P2PP (Peer to Peer power) Great idea if you have low battery and don't reside near a plug socket like 90% of the modern world does.
    Matt12345170 likes this.
  4. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 293   +31

At what point would you be near two other fully charged iPhone 4S or older phones and not a power outlet? Also, how long would you have to carry this thing until that situation arises?
    Matt12345170 likes this.
  5. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,260   +464

When you're trying to be Mr. Cool by doing a cam capture in a movie theatre? That's the only situation I can think of. That, and maybe if you're out hiking with friends and suddenly have the urge to play Fruit Ninja but have no juice.

In the real world, however, I fail to see any practicality.
    Matt12345170 likes this.
  6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 900   +99

This must be for the true iPhone addict, the one who has at least one of every generation of iPhone. Meaning they just need to carry around two of their previous gen phones fully charge ready to act as a spare battery. Honestly do you think people who have fully charged phones would want to lose their precious battery life, and it forces you to stay tethered together for an undetermined amount of time. So in the sense of getting people to share their batteries, its a stupid idea. If your the type who has extra iPhones laying around collecting dust, this might be the product for you.
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,852   +887

I dont really see the point of this... my iPhone lasts me the whole day, and I charge it each night, if I was near an outlet I would just put on airplane mode...
  8. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 961   +84

Or, buy phones with the standard Micro-USB port and borrow your friends charge cable. :D
    Arris likes this.
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,489   +292

^ That is just an Apple bashing post for the sake of making an Apple bashing post. Having a micro USB port wouldn't solve anything here. That would presume you had access to a USB port, and if you had that, you would just use the regular cable for your iPhone...
    davislane1, JC713 and Uvindu like this.
  10. Kobejelly24

Kobejelly24 Newcomer, in training

I think it's a really cool addition when you don't have anything around and you need 5 10 percent really bad.. Which friend won't give you 8 percent? Happens to me all the time...
  11. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 994   +149

A portable battery pack for iphone makes more sense than this product.

12. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

Terrible idea; I would not let anyone leech from my battery as it's already bad enough on its own. I have a charging cable close to me at all times due to the awful battery life of the lovely iPhones.
  13. JC713

but it makes your iPhone look so dumb... my friend has one and the iphone is literally 15% taller.
  14. misor

but carrying another iphone to recharge the main iphone is so... nevermind :) .

I long for the old days when you can just remove a spent battery and just insert a fresh battery.
  15. JC713

Yeah, I agree with you that it makes more sense and that this invention is useless :D.
  16. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,450   +619

I can see this working when friends go out to pubs and one person needs 10% to get through the night. You're all sitting at a table and don't mind losing 15% each (physics says you can't just transfer the power...).

I don't see it working elsewhere. "Hey bro, do you mind if I hold your $600 phone + one other for like half an hour? I promise to give it back and not look at your SMS!"
    JC713 and misor like this.
  17. misor

In my area, some malls and mall establishments have charging stations.
    ...free to charge but some requires in-store purchase.
    ...need to be alert for unscrupulous persons, otherwise your iphone will become a nokia 5110 in an instant. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.