Check out the first episode of Halo on YouTube for free

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The first two episodes of the Halo television series debuted on Paramount+ late last month to generally positive reviews. Those interested in seeing what the show is all about can now do so without having to sign up for the streaming service.

Paramount recently uploaded the first episode to YouTube to watch free of charge. The hour-long episode has already garnered more than 356,000 views in less than a full week.

The new series is loosely based on the popular Halo video game franchise. It takes place in the same universe fans were introduced to in the original Halo, dramatizing a 26th century conflict between humanity and a group of aliens known as the Covenant. According to the show's description, it will weave deeply drawn personal stories with action, adventure and a richly imagined vision of the future.

Paramount appears confident it has a winner on its hands with Halo. The first episode was the streaming service's most-watched series premiere globally when it debuted last month. The production and distribution company even renewed the series for a second season before the first episode premiered. As of writing, season one has a score of 70 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

New episodes premiere on Paramount+ each Thursday, with a total of nine hour-long episodes in season one. Those interested in subscribing to Paramount+ can take the service for a seven-day free trial. Plans start at $4.99 a month afterwards.

Permalink to story.

They really messed up this show by unmasking and disarming Master Chief.

It feels like a high budget fan-made film, only: no true Halo fan would ever unmask Master Chief.

The show has no true direction. It’s more like an Expanse clone.

And please tell me how Daenerys Targaryen is working with the Prophets???

Yeah I thought it was awful. The story is confusing already. Chief is written all wrong. He isn't some emotionally confused person. Also, really had to take that helmet off, didn't you? Same mistake they did with Sylvester Stallone in Dredd. I also find it hard to believe Chief isn't clean shaved which is a requirement for pretty much every military in existence. I know he doesn't need to wear a gas mask or anything but it seems odd they wouldn't care. Small details really add up and ruin things for me I guess.

Watched it and spent most of it sitting on the edge of my couch shouting "why" repeatedly to my poor tv.

the first 15 minutes though, pretty decent, then it leapt off a cliff violently, how do you mess up this bad when Halo has a barge worth of material to just straight up copy verbatim.

Just because you've already approved the next season doesn't mean its actually any good

When Paramount+ has Star Trek fans by the balls, they will watch whatever crap they can get.(Disco Very has Already been approved for a fifth season, dispite it being a continuous trainwreck of writing filth!). OF course, when our previous series was the terrible Enterprise , I can see hardcore fans willingly eating crap!

Halo lacks most of the fanbase that Star Trek apologists have built-up over the decades, but given how many CBS shows attract fools without brains (Survivor, The Amazing "Totally random detour, we swear!", The Amazing Big Brother, and The Amazing "NCIS that has somehow migrated to Hawaii now!")

Last edited:
Eh, it's fine for a TV show, it's just not Halo.

Just a lot of changes that they didn't need to make (with a lot of them being to hollywood-ize it)...

Spoilers for first episode:

Anyone else find the first impressions of the Covenant hilarious? Starts off with them being unstoppable predators where ballistic guns in the hands of normal humans do nothing (and covenant guns dismember and explode people). Then a spartan touches a gun and the elites are feeble enemies.
Main example being the chaingun (did nothing to elites going through the front gate), then the Chief quickly mows down a few elites the second he picks it up.

And then the dad missing flesh with every shot.......

Just an FYI this video is not available in Canada I had to put on my VPN and point it to the US to be visible.

Watched it and spent most of it sitting on the edge of my couch shouting "why" repeatedly to my poor tv.

the first 15 minutes though, pretty decent, then it leapt off a cliff violently, how do you mess up this bad when Halo has a barge worth of material to just straight up copy verbatim.

I think its because this show is made for casual fans and people new to the Halo world. If have been playing the video games for the last 20 years and no all the Lore you will be disappointed. I'm also in agreement about the helmet not coming. As someone else pointed out they made that mistake in 1995 Dredd movie thankfully the 2012 movie which I think its much better didn't make the same mistake.

I think you're asking a bit much for the Master Chief to go for multiple episodes in several seasons without ever showing his face. This is a TV show, not a limited game space.

Presumably the dude can never go to the toilet either.

I think you're asking a bit much for the Master Chief to go for multiple episodes in several seasons without ever showing his face. This is a TV show, not a limited game space.

Presumably the dude can never go to the toilet either.
Oh hell that is a good point. At the end of the first Halo game, Chief takes off his helmet at the end.

Back