Check this new rig out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillionsin

I do need some advice if anyone is helping. I feel like this is a little extreme for an average person but it's a new found hobby!! This is going to cost around $2,000 so I would like to get a lot of feedback and want to be 100% sure that it will all work the way I imagine that it would.

Case
Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package VI90001W2Z Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel
ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601950

Memory
Will this setup use this memory properly to its full advantage?
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Hard Drive (SSD)
Yes, I want an SSD Hard Drive :) But how will I install it in my tower?
a 2.5 to 5.25 adapter tray?
or will I have to buy something like this? iStarUSA BPU-124-SS 1 x 5.25" to 4 x 2.5" SATA/SAS Hot-Swap Backplane RAID Cage

Kingston SSDNow V-Series SNV125-S2BN/128GB 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD

Video Card
EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card

PSU
Over kill??????
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ1300 1300W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Patent Piperock Modular Power

Additional Add-ons
Will this be a decent fan controller for this rig? Will it fit?
NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller

Do I need to buy this separately?
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

I definately think the 1300 watt psu is overkill,

What resolution are you going to be gaming at. Arctic Silver 5 is a good thing. I like the cpu if you're going to go i7.

You can do way better for $2000, something like this:
Grand Total = $1300 approximately. Should leave enough for a suitable SSD of your choice.

I have that power supply that rage is referring to and it's a beast, it's really solid none of my voltages have ever moved off of the mark.

As to the motherboard if you want to make it upgradeable in the future you're going to want something with support for six ram slots. That cooler that rage suggested also comes in a LGA1336 flavor that I have, so you won't have to buy the retention bracket. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

I like rage's much better,
I recommend only Intel SSD's, or OCZ's Vertex, Agility, or Summit series SSD's. Those SSD's have superior hardware and shouldn't stutter like other ones. I know SuperTalent and some other brands have their own versions of these drives and their memory controllers, but OCZ is very clear on which series has good memory controllers and which don't, plus I like OCZ the most ^^.
The Intel should edge out all the OCZ drives, second place is the Summit which is the same as the Vertex series, but with large cache. Agility is supposed to cheaper, and performance will suffer just a bit.

I appreciate everyone's replies... I didnt take much advice on changing my selection. Maybe I should have put enphasis on the "...so I would like to get a lot of feedback and want to be 100% sure that it will all work the way I imagine that it would."
I just wanted to make sure there were not any known compatibility issues with the case and motherboard, the board and cards that I put in and so on.

Anyways, I'm just waiting on shipment. If anyone is interested in the final result just show you interest. I will be documenting everything as I get it and put it together.. pictues and such. Ill post if anyone is interested.

Compatibility issues will be non-existent. You did however overspend on the CPU and motherboard, and you could have pumped more money into a more powerful GPU.

Maybe you could imform me in the differences in your suggestion compaired to what I bought for the CPU and motherboard. I would be enlightened to know. I figured the CPU i got was going to be a little bit faster than the one you suggested, and the motherboard I picked out seemed more appealing to me when I compaired the two. Like I said, I am a beginner, and even though I may have made the mistake in ordering too quickly without thoroughly compairing CPUs and MoBo's and prices I would still like to know why you made those suggestions. Much appreciated!

The 950's 600MHz increase in frequency compared to the 920 does not warrant a $200-300 increase in price. The corresponding increase in performance is irrelevant and unnoticeable in anything except apps like 3DSMax that utilize all the cores. Even then, any i7 CPU is light years ahead in respect to the performance you would get with similarly-priced Core 2 Quad CPUs.

The motherboard has an extra PCI-E slot for 3-way CrossfireX\SLI and two extra DIMM slots compared to the EX58-UD3R. These do not warrant the $100 increase in price either. The only reason I would recommend the ASUS board is for hardcore OCing, where it shines. But Gigabyte makes better boards IMO, and their GA-EX58-UD4P can be found substantially cheaper than the P6T Deluxe ($30-60 cheaper) with the same number of features and OCing capabilities. Also, Gigabyte boards tend not to have as many memory issues as ASUS boards.

In case you're wondering, the extra PCI-E slot is an advertising gimmick, and gives you no real performance advantage. Three-way SLI/CrossfireX does not give you much gain (if any at all) over dual-GPU or even single-GPU setups with the same GPUs. In fact, it may actually reduce performance due to improper driver support. So you just pay for the card without getting the performance benefit of that extra card at all, making it an obscene waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back