CheckDisk Info for Vista and Windows 7 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaceit

Hi Folks!

After Running Chkdsk on Vista or Windows 7 and results return "Chkdsk found No Errors" it is Worth using a Bootable Utility with the XP version of CheckDisk, Running it from XP Recovery Console on a XP Disc or from XP if you Dual Boot.

In short! the XP Disk Check Fixes some file system and Hard disk errors that Vista and Windows 7 seems to fail to detect or rectify.

these are just some errors that i remember roughly
(mainly errors in the $upper file, MFT Bitmap atributes and Files that appear in the MFT Bitmap but not found...).

And yes the XP diskcheck has curred startup, page fault in non paged area, and random crash errors on Vista and Windows 7, this is particularly useful after power off or hard shutdown.

I gave Microsoft feedback on this when i tested both systems from beta through to the finished release so i am surprised that it's not been addressed.

hope this was helpful.

I'm not aware of this issue :confused:
I'm sure Vista and Windows 7 CheckDisk should be enough, at least I thought it was

First Discoverred this with vista after BSOD, I ran chkdsk from vista and from Vista DVD, the diskcheck found no errors but i still had file access errors and various little problems. I booted into XP and Checked all 6 of my Disks, The diskcheck from XP found and corrected several errors on some of the Disks and partitions including the Disk with Vista OS. problems were curred.

I tested this on several more occaisions when i have had to power off or had BSOD, ran chkdsk on vista! No Errors found, ran chkdsk from MSDART and from Vista DVD, No errors found: Vista would start and run normally; back to XP ran chkdsk (no /f switch); errors found and "run with /f switch to correct" message; back to vista "No errors found"; back to XP; errors fixed.

Like i said, have fixed errors on many Vista systems Using XP version of Chkdsk.

Got my Microsoft Freebe of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and x86 at UK launch event on oct 6th; Installed it and attempted to install a Vista x64 Driver and had Bsod; removed driver and ran chkdsk; "No errors found" however! perfectDisk failed to perform offline Defrag with "driver conflict error" and installing adobe acrobat i got "unable to extract certain files to temp dir".
Ran XP; found errors on every partition; Ran Vista; "No errors found" ; Repaired the errors using Xp recovery Console; PerfectDisk Bootime Defrag ran with no errors. Adobe installed with no problems.

this was the same behaviour through the beta tests and i confirmed this by getting a fellow Tech to test this on his system and he got same results.

This is not reccommended but to test this you could power off during a read/write operation and run the check on Vista or Windows 7 then on xp and see the results:

I'm surprissed microsoft has not addressed this because I told them during the Vista beta testing and i told them during the Win 7 beta and in surveys,

So Windows 7 was not my Idea (joke).
Windows 7 is excellent.

All I can find is a bug in Avira causing Windows 7 CheckDisk to run with high resource: http://techblog.avira.com/2009/11/26/chkdsk-in-windows-7/en/

I cannot see where MS has addressed any issue with Windows 7 not running as well as XP did (or does)

Where in MS (Technet?) Have you addressed this issue?
Note I'm a member of Technet, they may not be the best 1st point of contact, ideally directly to MS Support would be preferred
Does MS agree with this?

During the beta test program, i sent detailed information via the Send feedback app and in surveys about both systems. I just assumed that they Read these things.

You need to contact MS Support
There were too many feedbacks in the testing stage, for MS to read them all :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back