Checkup (hjt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

navieko

Hi

After noticing my gaming being a little slow and laggy (online) I decided to do a Spyware Doctor full system scan -- also I hadn't done one in awhile.

Turns out spyware doctor detected a high risk: "Worm.R.Jump"
Hopefully I successfully removed it with spyware doctor, but I thought I better do a proper checkup -- it's been awhile... I'm sure theres some other problems.

The hijackthis log has been attached...

Any help much appretiated!

-Navieko

Hi navieko, :wave:

I need you to follow all the steps HERE and then post back with the three requested logs as attachments
  • AVG antispyware
  • ComboFix
  • Hijackthis (step 15)

Dont forget to make sure that AVG is set to quarantine the results, that HJT is the last step, that you disable real time monitoring during this process and to let us know the results of the antirootkit scan.

Good luck and welcome to techspot.

This thread is for the use of navieko only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi kritius

I was following the steps on the page you linked me to and all was going well up until step 10 -- while trying to run the third tool. I installed Vundo Fix and was told it would perform the full scan upon restarting. I restarted it loaded up the desktop for a couple seconds, then went to the blue screen with the following error:

"The problem seems to be caused by the following file: aksfridge.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

I tried restarting again, did the same thing. So now I'm posting this from another computer, unable to log on my pc.

Should I try doing a repair using the XP disk?

Are you sure it's the real aksfridge.sys? Don't be fooled just because of a filename match. Here's a snippet from McAffee Site Advisor

The following file system modifications were detected:
ADD c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aksfridge.sys

Argh... seems the hole is getting bigger.

I probably too hastily tried doing a repair using the windows xp disk which has brought me to another problem. For some reason when it gets to the copying files stage -- it can't find any of the installation files. I skip one, the next one can't be found. I've had a similar problem before where I had to repair after failing to upgrade to SP3 properly... I ended up just skipping all the installation files that couldn't be found and it worked. I then just installed SP2 again.

I tried doing the same thing now, but once I've skipped all the files it goes to the 'registering' stage and then restarts the system, then loads up the installation screen saying "Restarting setup........" -- The whole thing bloody starts again.

Also note that since I've had my computer I have had similar problems when installing where it wouldn't copy some installation files. It's definitely not a damaged XP disk or anything.

Gah. :(

Alright -- nevermind.
Ended up creating a partition and backing up my files, then just doing a clean reinstall. Which pretty much concludes this 'seasons' checkup! :p

At least I've learnt about some good software and also now know the steps needed to be taken -- so all is well.

I'm sure I'll be back sometime in the future.

Until then,

cheers!

Navieko

AND!!!!

thoroughly scan through the those backup files for spyware, virus, etc. to make sure you aren't just going to reinfect yourself after all this work.

And if you want to be cautiously thorough , i'd move those files to a seperate media so when your computer asks full vs. quick formatting? Do a full format, not the quick reformat option.

Finally, since you're reformatting don't know if you had the drive formatted for NTFS or FAT32. But if the main or any secondary drives were FAT32 AND you don't have any of the reasons to keep FAT32 reformat to NTFS. (not a security issue but better to upgrade to the improved filesystem structure now when you're reinitialzing the drive's.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back