Chess Titans error

By kevinheit
Feb 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I got this message while trying to open Chess Titans, on Windows 7:

could not initialize direct 3D. You may want to check that the latest version of DirectX is correctly installed on your system. Also make sure that this programa was compiled with header files that match DirectX DLLs.

What can I do?
    I already downloaded Directx, last version.

Please I need a hand! Thanks
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,421   +217

As a starting point, please give us your PC specifications.
  3. kevinheit

kevinheit Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Windows 7 Ultimate

Brand: HP
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual Core Mobile M520 2.30Ghz
    Ram: 4GB
    System type: 64 bit OS

hope is enough! THANKS for replying
  4. mailpup

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. What graphics chip do you have? It might not be supported by the game.
  5. kevinheit

Look, the point is that i got that error message, with a white cross over red background.. And also, take into account, I could play the game some days ago :S
    So I don't know what's wrong, I was playing without problems

Thank you!
  6. mailpup

You didn't mention that before. That changes things.

If you have Windows Updates on automatic, something might be changed that an updated graphics driver might fix if you haven't done that already. It's worth a try.
  7. kevinheit

So you mean I should chekc windows updates? does it makes any sense that chess doesn't work because of a Windows update?
    What about the error message? Does it tell you anything?

Thanks!
  8. mailpup

I suggested that you try updating the graphics driver but if you don't want to that's up to you.
  9. kevinheit

Ok. Im downloading windows updates, but I dont know exactly how do I know which driver should I download for my graphics card..
  10. mailpup

I should have been clearer. While it's always good to install the critical Windows updates, for this particular problem I was only referring to the graphics driver. For the latest graphics driver go to the laptop manufacturer's website for the appropriate driver or to the graphics chip manufacturer's website for their latest graphics driver.

While you can use the graphics driver shown in Windows Update, I personally have not had good results when I've tried that in the past so I always recommend getting it from the source.
  11. kevinheit

Ok! thanks, I'll find out how to know my driver's brand or sth to get the latest driver..!

Thank you!! :)

12. liotb

liotb Newcomer, in training

Thank for posting this, the same thing happened to me. Before I saw this I already tried to re-install the newest drivers. Didn't help. But if it's directx, then I wonder if a re-installation of directx would work. Anyway, any more thoughts would help.

Thank you a head of time.
  13. liotb

liotb Newcomer, in training

I found the problem. Go into chess titan's options in the "game" menu at the top right in game. Set the slider back to full quality. When there was an error, it looks as if windows automatically adjusted; not bad, just bad they didn't let us know before you and I fought with it for part of a day. I only fought with it because I thought there might be something really wrong. At least I found the updated drivers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.