Chess Titans error

kevinheit

I got this message while trying to open Chess Titans, on Windows 7:

could not initialize direct 3D. You may want to check that the latest version of DirectX is correctly installed on your system. Also make sure that this programa was compiled with header files that match DirectX DLLs.

What can I do?
I already downloaded Directx, last version.

Please I need a hand! Thanks

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. What graphics chip do you have? It might not be supported by the game.

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. What graphics chip do you have? It might not be supported by the game.

Look, the point is that i got that error message, with a white cross over red background.. And also, take into account, I could play the game some days ago :S
So I don't know what's wrong, I was playing without problems

Thank you!

And also, take into account, I could play the game some days ago
You didn't mention that before. That changes things.

If you have Windows Updates on automatic, something might be changed that an updated graphics driver might fix if you haven't done that already. It's worth a try.

You didn't mention that before. That changes things.

If you have Windows Updates on automatic, something might be changed that an updated graphics driver might fix if you haven't done that already. It's worth a try.

So you mean I should chekc windows updates? does it makes any sense that chess doesn't work because of a Windows update?
What about the error message? Does it tell you anything?

Thanks!

I suggested that you try updating the graphics driver but if you don't want to that's up to you.

I should have been clearer. While it's always good to install the critical Windows updates, for this particular problem I was only referring to the graphics driver. For the latest graphics driver go to the laptop manufacturer's website for the appropriate driver or to the graphics chip manufacturer's website for their latest graphics driver.

While you can use the graphics driver shown in Windows Update, I personally have not had good results when I've tried that in the past so I always recommend getting it from the source.

Thank for posting this, the same thing happened to me. Before I saw this I already tried to re-install the newest drivers. Didn't help. But if it's directx, then I wonder if a re-installation of directx would work. Anyway, any more thoughts would help.

Thank you a head of time.

I found the problem. Go into chess titan's options in the "game" menu at the top right in game. Set the slider back to full quality. When there was an error, it looks as if windows automatically adjusted; not bad, just bad they didn't let us know before you and I fought with it for part of a day. I only fought with it because I thought there might be something really wrong. At least I found the updated drivers.

Strange that it happened to me because I updated NOTHING except flash 2 days before I got the warning, this after I have been playing chess titans for over 8+ years with no problems. what could cause it? flash?
edit...... I just had to go to options and reset the graphics slide bar as stated above

Back