ChevronWP7: Microsoft, unlocking, and piracy, oh my!

By Emil
Nov 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The release of ChevronWP7, which allows you to unlock any retail Windows Phone 7 device for application side-loading without having to pay $99 per year for a WP7 marketplace account, has resulted in a war of words. Microsoft made an official statement about the tool and its three developers, Long Zheng, Rafael Rivera, and Chris Walsh have also made public comments.

Read the whole story
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 877   +84

I am considering buying the LG quantum, but smart phones are expensive. The phone, with a contract, is going to cost me $200 and $75 a month with a 2 yr contract. This is kinda a deal breaker if they want to "take this route." I would paying ~$2000 for a phone over 2 years and they want to tell me what I can and can't do with it? Only reason I want a smart phone is so I don't have to carry an MP3 player with me. If that's what getting A smart phone means, I will just replace my BB pearl with a cheap Slider and deal with having an extra device in my pocket.
  3. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 297

Microsoft should learn from Android experiment and give people more credit.What they need are real users , because non creative users will still prefer Apple. Anyhow, Microsoft will lose users in favor of Android and Chrome OS, so they should be more permissive in order to keep up with the competition and they should thank the developers of Chevron WP7.At least that's my opinion..just look at Mozilla project and Android market.
  4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 589   +45

You're looking at the numbers the wrong way. Suppose you get a cheap slider (for free we'll assume) you will still be paying $60 a month for 2 years. That's $1440 just for the PHONE SERVICE. The data plan will cost you $360 over 2 years, plus the $200 for the phone means you will pay about $560 more than a regular phone, or about $23 more a month. Also, Microsoft didn't and more importantly CAN'T tell you what to do with your phone thanks to the new FCC legislation. You just may be voiding warranties or other services provided by Microsoft and your wireless carrier.

You should look for some deals on WP7 devices. You could have gotten one for free at a Microsoft store on Black Friday.
  5. yRaz

I don't need a data plan or any of that fancy stuff. I am only paying $50/m for unlimited text and 300 minutes from ATT. My contract is up and I can get a nice slider(but basic, i only want a keyboard) for under $100.

All that aside, modifying software SHOULD NOT void a warranty and they are doing this on piracy grounds. They are trying to remove it so you have to pay $100 a year to test if your app works. Removing it to make $100 a year is enough right there for me to not buy it. On top of that, they are using piracy as a cover.
  6. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 422   +75

Suppose you are the wireless carrier store that sell these phones and some guy comes back with his phone 2 weeks after purchase with "it doesn't work anymore, I want a new one because its under warranty".
    At lets suppose its bricked because he messed with the software, is it fair to the store to have to pay for a new phone or the shipping and repair costs of that phone?

There should be software and hardware warranties if you ask me.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,456   +288

Ideally the store could just plug it in to their system and restore it to factory state.
  8. yRaz

Bricking is one thing, simple software mods made by people who KNOW what they are doing should not void a warranty, but that is a valid point.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.