ChevronWP7: Windows Phone 7 unlocker released

Emil

Staff

Three developers have released a new tool named ChevronWP7, which allows you to unlock any retail Windows Phone 7 device for application side-loading without having to pay $99 per year for a WP7 marketplace account. Long Zheng, Rafael Rivera, and Chris Walsh created the tool in order to give both developers and users broader access to their WP7 devices.

The trio claims the tool is completely safe and the unlocking it performs can be reversed on all devices. To get started, download the executable (mirror one or mirror two) and run it when your phone is connected to your PC via a USB cable.

Unlocking allows the sideloading of experimental applications that Microsoft would never allow on the Marketplace, including those which access private or native APIs as well as anything that breaks the guidelines the software giant has set. Microsoft only allows registered developers to unlock their device in order to sideload their apps for testing purposes.

ChevronWP7's release comes soon after it was discovered earlier this month that Windows Phone 7 can run native code. Following that, the first jailbroken app was released, and now we have an app that will reportedly unlock any WP7 device.

Permalink to story.

$99 a year to have the "privilege" of accessing WP7 market place? who the F#&% are you kidding M$? Just when I thought I might pick one of these up...although I can always jail break it. Until It has more jailbroken apps, I'm going to stick with my 4yr/old BB pearl.

Pretty sure the $99/year only applies to the developer. More specifically "a developer can release his first 5 applications for free in the Marketplace before he is charged $99/year for developer license, then then developer can update version of their application as many times as they want."

http://www.techlivez.com/2010/03/microsoft-unveils-windows-phone-7-marketplace

Relax. The $99/year only applies to the developer. More specifically "a developer can release his first 5 applications for free in the Marketplace before he is charged $99/year for developer license, then then developer can update version of their application as many times as they want."

http://www.techlivez.com/2010/03/microsoft-unveils-windows-phone-7-marketplace

MS is no going to be happy about this...

Jail breaking WP7 in such a short time, hackers/developers are really getting fast.

This link (Mirror 2) installed clickpotato on my system. It is not what it claims to be it is an adware file. Thanks guys.

TeamworkGuy2 said:
MS is no going to be happy about this...

Jail breaking WP7 in such a short time, hackers/developers are really getting fast.

Thank goodness they are. That's what makes good products great products.

I wonder how long it will take before the Kinect works with WP7 and Android? :)

Back