China admits it has a commando unit of 30 cyberwarriors

Emil

Staff

For the first time ever, China has admitted that it has poured tens of millions into the formation of a commando unit of 30 cyberwarriors called The Blue Army. The team is reportedly trained to improve the security of the country's military forces and to protect the People's Liberation Army from outside assault on its networks.

"The Internet has no boundaries, so we can't say which country or organization will be our enemy and who will attack us," Xu Guangyu, a senior researcher of the government-backed China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, said according to The Australian. "The Blue Army's main target is self-defense. We won't initiate an attack on anyone."

Xu was also very modest about the group's abilities. "I don't think our Blue Army's skills are too backward compared to those of other countries." The cyber-warfare team was recently tasked with a simulated cyberbattle to defend China's military networks against a series of viruses, junk mail attacks, and stealth cyber intrusions attempting to steal top secret information on troop deployments hidden within government networks. The attacking force was four times the size of the Blue Army, but the latter group emerged victorious. I would argue that very few other countries can claim a similar feat.

The Blue Army is believed to have been officially formed two years ago but has existed in some form for a decade. It is currently under the Guangdong Military Command and was supposedly established for defensive purposes. Unsurprisingly, many believe that The Blue Army is responsible for the various cyber attacks around the world that have been traced back to China.

The news comes less than two weeks after the US disclosed its International Strategy for Cyberspace. The document revealed the US government could respond to cyber-attacks with military force, especially if someone were to pull off a serious cyberspace hack against the US, its allies, its partners, or in a way to threaten its interests.

Permalink to story.

I was under the impression everyone assumed each government had some hackers for protection.

We all knew the Chinese government was doing something like this. I'm actually surprised that they're admitting as much as they have...

I don't really think they're admitting to anything that those in the know didn't already assume. I'd be very surprised in this day in age that every country didn't have a similar setup.

I'm sure the United States is planning another fake war because of some fake cyber attack now that Iraq is getting the plug pulled on it.

China has admitted that it has poured tens of millions into the formation of a commando unit of 30 cyberwarriors called The Blue Army.
Are these made out of terra cotta or are they the real deal?

They must have some awesome moves.

Five Lotus SQL Injection

Cross Site Scripting Fire Palm

Vulnerability Exploiting Monkey Attack

So, the Chinese martial art of the third millenium is cyber hacking. Does this mean the new Bruce Lee will be a geeky Asian kid in horn rimmed glasses, an ill fitting shirt, and a pocket protector?

I suppose we can look forward to Saturday afternoons of watching, "Hack-Fu Theater".

Can't wait for the overdubbed dialog! "You have dish-honored your self, I will hack your family's com-pu-tah until it dies a rong painful death"!

captaincranky said:
So, the Chinese martial art of the third millenium is cyber hacking. Does this mean the new Bruce Lee will be a geeky Asian kid in horn rimmed glasses, an ill fitting shirt, and a pocket protector?

I suppose we can look forward to Saturday afternoons of watching, "Hack-Fu Theater".

Can't wait for the overdubbed dialog! "You have dish-honored your self, I will hack your family's com-pu-tah until it dies a rong painful death"!

LOL. But the production values have really improved since the 1970s. Some movies have really great special effects.

The news comes less than two weeks after the US disclosed its International Strategy for Cyberspace. The document revealed the US government could respond to cyber-attacks with military force, especially if someone were to pull off a serious cyberspace hack against the US, its allies, its partners, or in a way to threaten its interests.

Doesn't they know they are 'over-estimating' their own reach or capabilities? I mean why would they be 'begging' other allies to foot in the bill for the 'fake' Libyan freedom war (read 'Operation Grab Libyan Oil'). Whereas, they are simply ignoring how Suadis/Bahraini solidiers are killing unarmed people (well for good reason because they are their 'friends'). Same is repeated in Yemen.

Anyway, as many have stated this is nothing special and probably most countries have some arrangements in this respect; but how things turn out when a real attach comes in will tell how much effective they are.

This scares me, I read a book called "Halting State" by Charles Stross last year and even though it is quite humorous work it features some serious ideas as well (augmented reality and cyber crimes). One of them is a cyber army from China unoriginally called "Team Red". Either he knew some serious secrets or was ahead of his time when this was published in 2007.

But non-admittance of something doesn't mean 'evidence of absence'. So, using this same argument, we can be sure other countries do have some similar units as well. Although they may have limited the choices available for Americans when it comes to naming such 'armies'.

lol, only 30?
We are Anonymous
We are Legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect us.

Back