China brings down the hammer on VPNs, strengthening its Great Firewall

midian182

Staff member

While China is well known for its strict online regulations and controls, tech-savvy citizens have been able to circumvent the Great Firewall using virtual private networks (VPNs). But that option may soon be removed, after the country’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology announced a 14-month plan to “clean up” unauthorized internet connections.

A notice on the agency’s website stated that the campaign would require internet service provider, internet data center, and content delivery companies be licensed by the government. It also demands that all special cable and VPN services obtain prior government approval, a move that will make most VPNs in the country illegal, according to the South China Morning Post.

The Ministry said that China’s internet connected service market was “disordered” and required “urgent regulation and governance.” It added that the move will “strengthen cyberspace information security management.”

Many of China’s 730 million internet users rely on VPNs to access blocked sites, which includes the likes of Facebook, Google, Twitter, and YouTube. Greatfire.org reports that the country blocks 135 of the world’s top 1000 websites. Criticism of the Chinese government is also prohibited.

China has been tightening its hold over its citizens’ online activities recently. Last week, the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) announced that all app stores had to register with the government in order to continue operating legally.

In November last year, the country passed a new cybersecurity law, set to come into effect in June, that requires internet companies to collect users’ real names and details, while “critical information infrastructure operators” must store their data on servers located within China’s borders. They will also be subjected to regular government reviews and be required to provide “technical support” to security agencies.

Permalink to story.

Not surprising...a communist country only survives, when they keep people from having the freedom to make up their own minds about things. Living in the USA, we have tons of sources, but I find better reporting from foreign news services, most of the time, than I do with the media in the USA.
Chinese people are only allowed the freedom the government wants them to have.
Apparently the "outside world" is getting in, and what's really going on inside, is getting out.
I'm surprised they haven't clamped down on them before now.

Not only is this move going to be bad for their economy, it will also put them at great risk.

"In November last year, the country passed a new cybersecurity law, set to come into effect in June, that requires internet companies to collect users’ real names and details, while “critical information infrastructure operators” must store their data on servers located within China’s borders. They will also be subjected to regular government reviews and be required to provide “technical support” to security agencies."

This should make it very easy for foreign entities to target individual Chinese citizens.

China has the right idea here! Make China great again! Build a firewall!
"Make China great again!"
I wasn't aware of the fact that they were ever great.. Maybe they were during the Chin dynasty but that was a little before my time. A good thing, I wouldn't want my corpse dumped as rubble during their "Great Wall" building spree.

Not be long until the UK implements something similar given there draconian trajectory towards the big brother mentality she so eagerly seems to follow. :(

Not only is this move going to be bad for their economy, it will also put them at great risk.

"In November last year, the country passed a new cybersecurity law, set to come into effect in June, that requires internet companies to collect users’ real names and details, while “critical information infrastructure operators” must store their data on servers located within China’s borders. They will also be subjected to regular government reviews and be required to provide “technical support” to security agencies."

This should make it very easy for foreign entities to target individual Chinese citizens.
But where the heck would someone start? :confused: There are, after all, 3+ billion of them. If you thought our NSA has a formidable task tracking the cell phones of 300,000,000 Americans, multiply that number by 10! :eek:

Ahh yes... Democracy at it's finest. They don't seem to know the meaning of the word "oppression".
Understanding China's "democracy", begins and ends right here:

220px-Quotations_from_Chairman_Mao_Tse-Tung_bilingual.JPG

It would seem they don't call it, "Red China" for nothing! :eek:

In the, "and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse department", I'm sure we'll all be quoting from this "little red book" soon enough:

51vgo%2B0nNLL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Me, you wonder? I'm holding out until Kim Kardashian publishes her version. Now that should have some real substance

Last edited:
The chinese are oldschool so they need walls. The west is once again more advanced having established barriers inside peoples minds that keep them inside their bubble.

How many ever leave the 5 big hubs they're always in? Who goes out and explores the vast internet and its sites?

Understanding China's "democracy", begins and ends right here:

220px-Quotations_from_Chairman_Mao_Tse-Tung_bilingual.JPG

It would seem they don't call it, "Red China" for nothing! :eek:

In the, "and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse department", I'm sure we'll all be quoting from this "little red book" soon enough:

51vgo%2B0nNLL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Me, you wonder? I'm holding out until Kim Kardashian publishes her version. Now that should have some real substance
Yeah. That goon, Hitler and Stalin... what a trio they made.

This.

I still do not understand how the British newspapers can consistently out-report the American newspapers on American issues the way they do.

I think because most of the "newspapers" in the USA, have been gobbled up by the big guys, and they just copy/paste from one place to the other. Most of the people that work in the local papers these days, are "kids" fresh out of journalism school, no experience, cheap to pay, and they don't know how to go out and GET the news.

It's been said that Stalin killed more Russians then Hitler killed Jews. Who knew they would turn it into a competition? :eek:
One upmanship. Then you throw Mussolini into the mix... but he quickly found out he was deluded into thinking he was another coming of Caesar. Fortunately nobody else did so they just left him, and lover Clara to 'hang' about ;)

RE BBC et al providing better coverage - they are part of AP, which has voting members outside the US.
Basically integrity, tact and Empathy, which tend to be cultivated from the top down, I.e., if the newz prez iz occupied with frolic with anchor-women, he has less time to offer integrity / empathy encouragement, and the News provided may suffer.
RE local news: I guess I am lucky in the bylines in my area tend to have 5-50 years of history, and no one fresh out of drop-in classes is offered a published position. YM obviously MV.

America first!
And last if Trump has any say regrading the matter. ;)

Don't mean to offend, but Trumps POTUS, and down to you democratic process no less.

Not like we are any better, previous dead pig shaggers and all that jazz, but Trump or Hillary???

That's not choice that's a comedy stage performance.

Lesser of two evils??? Where, behind a wall? :(

Sad that we trade with them at all. North Korea still operate because they're never completely cut off, which is the only humane thing to do. Starve them until to reason sets in.

And last if Trump has any say regrading the matter. ;)

Don't mean to offend, but Trumps POTUS, and down to you democratic process no less.

Not like we are any better, previous dead pig shaggers and all that jazz, but Trump or Hillary???

That's not choice that's a comedy stage performance.

Lesser of two evils??? Where, behind a wall? :(

You misunderstand.

American values can't be exported just as our democracy can't be exported either.

However, as an American that has traveled and seen the good and bad in this world I can attest that no one wants to sneak into Iran, Syria, or North Korea just to name a few. We need to be strong and free as in 1st Amendment which links to this article and China outlawing VPN and controlling their internet/narrative. We as Americans should not fund or support in any way such a repressive regime.

You misunderstand.

American values can't be exported just as our democracy can't be exported either.

However, as an American that has traveled and seen the good and bad in this world I can attest that no one wants to sneak into Iran, Syria, or North Korea just to name a few. We need to be strong and free as in 1st Amendment which links to this article and China outlawing VPN and controlling their internet/narrative. We as Americans should not fund or support in any way such a repressive regime.
"American values can't be exported just as our democracy can't be exported either."

Quite a few Asian and Middle Eastern nations would agree with that im sure but it's not like it's stopped us from trying, or at least claim to be bringing them democracy when what we really want is there oil and other resources in our pockets.

"We as Americans should not fund or support in any way such a repressive regime."

Could not agree more but try telling that to the bankers and there political puppets and it will fall upon def ears.

Back