TechSpot

China could be leveraging electronic exports to spy on the US

By Shawn Knight
Dec 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The United States is forcing telecommunications companies like AT&T and Verizon to hand over sensitive data regarding their network infrastructure to sniff out potential Chinese spies. Officials are concerned that…

Read the whole story

2. First it was parts in vehicles. Then it was parts in missiles. Now this. Stop outsourcing already

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,024   +148

That will never happen, corporations are too busy keeping their profits up to worry about national security.

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,024   +148

That will never happen, corporations are too busy keeping their profits up to worry about national security.

5. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

Corporations are busy giving the consumers what they want: cheap electronic goods. That's what contributes to outsourcing and offshoring. It's greed, but corporations are merely the conduit.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,189   +749

Lol, greedy corporations are the root of all evil, aren't they yRaz? I'm so sick of hearing about greed. Greed is human nature. From a stockbroker trying to use insider information to the lady I know at work who files her taxes as a single mom even though she lives with her husband just because she can. Or maybe the occupy protestor calling for someone to pay his college loans is a better example.

The difference is, corporations are ALWAYS audited by the IRS, they employ the vast majority of the workforce, they're forced to high moral standards by the media, and part of their marketing strategy and brand building often involves huge contributions to foundations and charity.

They pay only as much tax as the govt makes them pay (just like you), so blame Obama if you think they have too much money. it's his health care plan that has the big question mark in the costs column for 2013 and 2014. And that's why growth and hiring is slow right now.

You can choose to beleive whatever you want, of course, but just understand it's fairly separated from reality.

7. I was watching an early 1960 show and one of the villains was from China, the funny thing he said was "China will overtake the West; it doesn't matter whether it takes 5 years, 50 years, or 1000 years, it is inevitable.”

8. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

White knight of the corporations, are you? Put up your dukes, we'll settle this like gentlemen.

9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

This type of thing has been happening for 30 years.

10. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

According to the internet, it's all 'bama's fault.

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

I am absolutely certain that Americans too do the same thing, whenever they sell 'sensitive' technology to other countries. I remember reading an article how other countries usually 'take apart' american military hardware (e.g. range finders, navigation and other systems, radars etc.) to root out any 'un-wanted' piece of technology. So, when they talk about such intrusions from Chinese, it make sense just as well ;)

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Back in the 60's and 70's, there were just certain days when you couldn't convince us that the TV wasn't looking back at you. :suspiciou

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

That's pretty much a slam dunk statement. I think it's because man is the most efficient predator the planet has ever produced. As an individual, meh, so-so, but in a pack wowie!
    You forgot to mention the free broadcast TV! You can always mute the sound during the commercials.

Listen, the oil and gas lobbies advertising on TV as to why they think they shouldn't pay taxes, is flat out offensive, by any definition of standard.

You mean like everybody thinking the economy has turned around because everybody ran up their credit cards on Black Friday! Or for that matter thinking the garbage coming out of the mint is worth something?

14. China has in Canada alone, more than a thousand spies on her payroll. I invite you to check out this link; it's a full blown massive spying campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_intelligence_activity_abroad

15. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Reminds me of Fallout 3. XDD

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.