China's border police are installing surveillance apps on the smartphones of some tourists

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: China's penchant for surveillance and monitoring has often come across as dystopian to foreigners, but these individuals usually rest assured that the country's spying methods aren't directly affecting them. Unfortunately, though, that may no longer be the case for some tourists. A recent report claims China's border police are "secretly" installing surveillance apps on the phones of visitors to the country's Xinjiang region (a predominantly Muslim area).

The report, which comes from The Guardian, claims that most visitors were not warned ahead of time that their phones would have this app installed, nor were they told what sort of spying the software would be doing.

The Guardian, however (working alongside The New York Times and Süddeutsche Zeitung), found that the app searches texts, emails, and contact information for a variety of religious material. For example, the outlet says the app scans for "terms associated with Islamist extremism," in addition to more innocuous religious information, like Ramadan fasting practices.

That's far from a comprehensive list of the content the app looks for, but it should give you a general idea. This app is apparently only being installed on the phones of users who enter Xinjiang from China's Kyrgyzstan region. It's unclear why this practice is only being performed at that specific border checkpoint, but visitors -- though not happy about it -- don't seem surprised that it's occurring.

"I don't like it. If they were doing it in my home country I would be aghast," one traveler told The Guardian. "but when you are travelling to China you know it might be like this."

The only phones The Guardian and its investigative allies were able to confirm the app was installed on happened to be Android devices. Still, the outlet says "iPhones were also taken by officers," and presumably fitted with similar software.

Image credit: Security Camera and Urban Video by Pixinoo

Permalink to story.

Why on earth would you give access to anyone to your phone ? thats stupid of you. If its locked they wont be able to access it, end of the line.

Why on earth would you give access to anyone to your phone ? thats stupid of you. If its locked they wont be able to access it, end of the line.
That's when the jail you, cease your phone and then deport you. Solution; don't visit China. And if you have to, don't take your personal phone/tablet/laptop.

When in Rome...

China doesn't tolerate a number of things: free speech, the right to bear arms, or virtually the bulk of American law.

So you have two simple solutions:

#1 comply

#2 don't visit China.

Afterall - it's not like they need you there: they have America's economy by the nads and they have 1.3+ Billion people.

I lived in China as a student in Fu Dan University.

I was warned before coming to China:

#1 Do not practice Fa Lun Gong

#2 Do not mess with guns, drugs or other criminal activities.

So I went there, I lived there, I studied Mandarin/Business and then I left.

I would go again - despite the way they treat the Xin Jiang people. That isn't my war.

Considering how America treats "illegal aliens" and "black citizens" there's no room to criticize.

#2 don't visit China.
Thank You for repeating what I just said verbatim.
After all - it's not like they need you there: they have America's economy by the nads
This is patently, laughably, false. Your understanding of Chinese/American debt is woefully misinformed.
Considering how America treats "illegal aliens" and "black citizens" there's no room to criticize.
That comparison is as inaccurate as it is out of context. China doesn't have an illegal immigration problem and they never had the African slave trade problem.

You should start clicking source links perhaps?

"Chinese border police are secretly installing surveillance apps on the phones of visitors and downloading personal information as part of the government’s intensive scrutiny of the remote Xinjiang region"

Thats not cool, more sanctions please. They shouldnt be allowed to enter civilized society while they do this.
And yea, this isnt the worst part, the worst part is how they treat their religious minorities including those that are Muslim.
Seriously, Chine is a wonderland. With incredible growth they still managed to drug
an encient faith of communism and dictatorship into 21st century. Thats simply
amazing, in a bad way.

Another great reason not to visit China, not to share your tourist dollars and spend your time traveling the USA. Plenty to see and no better reason to get started today!

This is patently, laughably, false. Your understanding of Chinese/American debt is woefully misinformed.

That comparison is as inaccurate as it is out of context. China doesn't have an illegal immigration problem and they never had the African slave trade problem.
Tell all that to the president who is narrowly trying to avoid initiating a trade war while simultaeously kissing up to to a murderous dictator who is part of China's buffer zone.

Another great reason not to visit China, not to share your tourist dollars and spend your time traveling the USA. Plenty to see and no better reason to get started today!

Ha ha, any sane person would also avoid the USA like the plague too. Under uber Fuhrer Herr Dumbf's rule USA has slid to new lows. It's almost as toxic as China and Russia. Now Canada on the other hand there's a nice country to visit.

That's when they jail you, cease your phone and then deport you. Solution; don't visit China. And if you have to, don't take your personal phone/tablet/laptop.

Hello from Shanghai. That 'region' seems to be getting everything it deserves.

Normally I'm VERY privacy oriented, but China (and us too), has a problem it needs to fix, and doesn't give a toss what you think about it.

Sure, don't go, but if you *need* to go there, don't be surprised that an Islamic schithole region has extra 'security precautions'.

For once, I've go no problem with government overt spying.

I'd rather spend my tourist dollars in China than Alabama.
Country =/= state

But yes, whether you live in the US or are just visiting, Alabama is the only place anyone is allowed to visit /s

Ha ha, any sane person would also avoid the USA like the plague too. Under uber Fuhrer Herr Dumbf's rule USA has slid to new lows. It's almost as toxic as China and Russia. Now Canada on the other hand there's a nice country to visit.
While I agree he's a bumbling oaf with severe old man syndrome and is causing chaos, he did not murder 6 million Jews. And if you tune out of the news, a lot of ordinary people are just living their lives without any local chaos. It's no more safe than visiting London, Berlin, Delhi, Rome, etc.

And Canada has its own issues too. I'm a dual-citizen. There's discontent or chaos in most of the world in one form or another.

#2 don't visit China.
After all - it's not like they need you there: they have America's economy by the nads

Well they certainly need Canadian there, look what they did to those two Canadians, they can use them as political exchange. :/

Yeah I will definitely not be visiting China again. The country is backwards as hell. I went last year and found it incredibly depressing. I’m reading a book about human anthropological history and the author states he believes that factory workers in modern China have the worst quality of life of any human ever to walk the planet. I can see why with the suicide nets, poor pay, no time off, monotonous job.

American citizens are infinitely better off and enjoy way more liberty and quality of life than the Chinese do. And this is with or without Trump. I’d pick the American governors over Chinese governors every single day of the week. I’d pick Google over this app too. Although I do try and avoid google services as much as I can.

Now Canada on the other hand there's a nice country to visit.
I guess the keyword there is "visit," unless you want to pay as much as 60% income tax for "free" health care (depending on the province).

This is factually incorrect

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/an-overview-of-federal-tax-rates-286

In fact their tax brackets are better then America's and that's not even considering the cost of healthcare added onto that you have to pay as an American. In addition, Canada delivers healthcare at about 1/3rd the cost of America. Heck, with the money saved you could afford private health insurance that provides additional benefits.

This is factually incorrect

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/an-overview-of-federal-tax-rates-286

In fact their tax brackets are better then America's and that's not even considering the cost of healthcare added onto that you have to pay as an American. In addition, Canada delivers healthcare at about 1/3rd the cost of America. Heck, with the money saved you could afford private health insurance that provides additional benefits.
That is only federal income tax at 33% as the top bracket. You also need to pay provincial income tax, in Quebec for example the top bracket is 25.75%. That makes a combined income tax of 58.75%, you're right, I rounded up by 1.25%.

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-...al-toolkit/taxes-quebec/taxes-quebec-2/5.html

As for medicare cost to the average Canadian, it tends to be only slightly less than what the average American pays. However the service is not comparible. If you enjoy waiting 12 hours at the hospital for a 5 minute visit with a doctor, then I guess that's fine. Of course as a Canadian who lives in Montreal, my experience is based on our overcrowded hospitals. I pay for private health care while still being taxed for public health care, I pay significantly more than the average American.

LOL, this is funny. Do you have Viber, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Slack or any similar messaging app on your phone? Congratulations! Then you already have a spying app installed.

Oh, wait, you're not using IM apps. Good for you. Do you have the Android operating system installed on your phone. You do? Then you still have a spying app installed.

At least Chinese tell you when they spy on you. Those others spy on you without asking and then pretend it's not happening. I like the Chinese approach. It's more honest. Just like their 2-children depopulation policy. Clean, clearly communicated, logical. Vulcan style.

From reading the article, I believe that the authorities take your phone from you as you pass through border control. It's not a request. When you enter China, you are subject to Chinese law.

... I’m reading a book about human anthropological history and the author states he believes that factory workers in modern China have the worst quality of life of any human ever to walk the planet. ...

I would think that North Korea would be worse.

No matter, if you would rather kill yourself than go to work then your life sucks because you have lost all hope.

LOL, this is funny. Do you have Viber, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Slack or any similar messaging app on your phone? Congratulations! Then you already have a spying app installed.

Oh, wait, you're not using IM apps. Good for you. Do you have the Android operating system installed on your phone. You do? Then you still have a spying app installed.

At least Chinese tell you when they spy on you. Those others spy on you without asking and then pretend it's not happening. I like the Chinese approach. It's more honest. Just like their 2-children depopulation policy. Clean, clearly communicated, logical. Vulcan style.
Your whole statement clearly show how little you understand the Android OS, how apps work and the nasty aspect of the Chinese government.

Your whole statement clearly show how little you understand the Android OS, how apps work and the nasty aspect of the Chinese government.

Nope, your post shows how little you know about the device you carry in your pocket. Android OS itself is full of accidental and deliberate security holes. And as if that's not enough, many popular apps are harvesting data even if you deny permissions:

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than...st-your-data-even-after-you-deny-permissions/

Not to mention that the worst security hole of all times was in Android OS 4.x, affecting over a billion devices, and Google did absolutely nothing to fix it. Even worse, they claimed they fixed it, but it was a blatant lie, because hackers clearly showed that the hole still existed after the "fix".

Nope, your post shows how little you know about the device you carry in your pocket. Android OS itself is full of accidental and deliberate security holes. And as if that's not enough, many popular apps are harvesting data even if you deny permissions:

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than...st-your-data-even-after-you-deny-permissions/
Are you implying that iOS is safer? All operating systems are full of security holes that are constantly being discovered and worked on. Here's a list of 1653 known iOS vulnerabilities:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

At least Android is open source so more vulnerabilities are discovered and fixed. You can also minimise risks and maximize your security if you choose. You can run an open source custom rom without Google Apps or their app store and use only open source apps from F-Droid for example.

Are you implying that iOS is safer? All operating systems are full of security holes that are constantly being discovered and worked on. Here's a list of 1653 known iOS vulnerabilities:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html

The list of Android issues is much longer, and the security problems are much more serious. Open source means nothing, when the OS loaded into your phone comes from a slightly modified source. And if you want to change that, you can easily brick your new phone. Which warranty doesn't cover. Not that most of people know how to do it in the first place.

Not that most of people are programmers. And even those who are, don't know much about Android from the inside. Which was clearly evident when the worst mobile security hole of all times, Stagefright, wasn't fixed for almost a year after EVERYONE knew about it.

And it was so easy to exploit. In fact, that easy that it probably wasn't even an accidental security hole. Because if you completely omit the buffer size check, after tons and tons of buffer overrun and underrun bugs that recently happened, then you're either:

1. Total programming noob. Who can't learn on mistakes. Which begs the question why would Google hire someone that inexperienced on something that important.

2. Someone who knows what he's doing, adding a deliberate buffer underrun capability (in that particular case) which is a known way of deliberately adding holes so that they look like accidents.

Either way it was a colossal mistake for Google, one that Apple never made. Not even Windows had something as stupid as that. It's one thing to trick the user to allow execution, and quite another to add so specific bug into the picture and video decoder. Pictures and videos are BY DEFINITION safe files. But Google found a way to make safe files unsafe. As they usually do.

The list of Android issues is much longer
From that same site:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1224/product_id-19997/Google-Android.html

You're right, it is longer, 25% longer, which makes sense. It's open source so there are a lot more eyes examining the code. Of course it's a double edge sword as more vulnerabilities are discovered, but that also means more vulnerabilities are fixed. Whereas less vulnerabilities are discovered in iOS, which also means less are fixed.

Apple runs a very tight ship with their App Store, so you're definitely much safer filling your phone with random apps if you're an iOS user. Google's store is much more lenient, letting many not so safe apps slip by. So while you have more choice with apps capable of doing more things (like apps that require root access), if you're careless installing apps by unknown developers, you could definitely install some sketchy apps. Of course it's the same with Windows if you start downloading and installing just any software. I've never infected my computer, and I've never infected my phone.

But as I wrote in my previous post, with Android you have choices; you don't have to use Google's store. You don't have to run any proprietary apps if you don't want to. Install stock LineageOS which is completely open source, don't install any Google Apps and use vetted open source apps from F-Droid. If you don't mind giving up some conveniences, that option (albeit, not for everyone) would be safer than running iOS.

Back