Chinese chip maker hopes to rival Intel, AMD, ARM with custom CPU

By Shawn Knight
Nov 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. China is preparing to unveil details about an 8-core processor designed and developed entirely within the country. The CPU is expected to eventually challenge powerhouses AMD, ARM and Intel in the PC, server and supercomputer categories.

Read more
  2. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TechSpot Member Posts: 96   +9

Just about time for new players in the market

I hope a new company will pop up in the GPU market too
    Leo Martin Lim likes this.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

Not gonna buy it, but at least it will lower prices of other CPUs.
    misor likes this.
  4. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

I think I'd loose my Fed security clearances if I brought that into my home..
    captainawesome likes this.
  5. I had enough with chinese products already..
  6. Without reading any post, nor even the article.. I will go on to say "thievery".

Only because I walk the soil.
  7. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

For the world's sake, I hope the CPU sucks.
  8. This CPU is a fully-licenced MIPS-compatible CPU. A quick look at Wikipedia will give you the facts. As opposed to speculation and silly generalizations.
    p3ngwin likes this.
  9. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

Made in China.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

Can you elaborate?
  11. Ahmed90

seriously people still use this "made in china" remarks .. almost everything is made in china now there is lots of quality products made in china
    can you tell me how many made in (non China/Asia) tech products do you own ?...

12. ikesmasher

I think you're missing the point of why people are so against things made in china.
  13. Ahmed90

oky then can you tell me what I missed :p ?
    p3ngwin likes this.
  14. cliffordcooley

The number one reason, China is not the only country that can produce products. Which is why I am appalled at the idea that most everything has a "Made in China" label attached. I wish Import and Export taxes was so high it would force local manufacturing if possible.
  15. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Why? Competition can't be a bad thing, especially as it's becoming more and more of an Intel monopoly nowadays in the desktop segment.

Have a read of this very interesting NYTimes article, it's not all about cost or import taxes or currency manipulation, etc.
  16. Ahmed90

lets face it Europeans/Americans wont work like the Chinese not as fast as china not as cheap as china and quality wont be better its not as simple as that high taxes = higher prices etc.. bad for biz :p
  17. cliffordcooley

I will choose not to respond to that statement, which I find just as appalling as my previous statement.
  18. Where ever the product is made the quality will be the same but china has the most workforce in the world so they can make more and faster, also china has more resources for making if u plan on making the product outside asia the cost of production will be higher making retail price higher is stupid idea to build it within there own country business wise unless there rich in resources and have a large workforce with lower salery then normal cause there country has alot of unemployed. sadly china population to large for there own good in some ways

19. ikesmasher

IDK where you live, but me and many, many other Americans have a hard time sending any much more money to China than factories, companies, and the government already have.
  20. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

I think Chinese chips are superior in some ways - they are often crisper, arguably less fatty, and a more uniform golden-brown than the traditional "British Fish & Chip Shop" type, but perhaps still lacking the authentic flavour of the latter.
    Pan Wah likes this.
  21. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

Can't agree with you, thin crispy fries for me every time! ;)
  22. ...and for those of us not living under the yoke in the bible belt, the location that goods are manufactured in is irrelevant.
  23. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Each to their own :) - I think the "Chip Shop" chip maybe tastes better because it is traditionally fried in lard, therefore is unhealthy and so a little "naughty"? Certainly the location that they are fried in is irrelevant (bible belt, China, Steeple Bumpstead etc. etc.) assuming the presence of a deep-fat frier.
  24. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

Yay Zoltan! Any views on which chips are best with eggs? (in case you live under the yolk in the bible belt) ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.