Chinese company says its latest EV batteries can last 16 years

Polycount

Staff
In context: Electric vehicles are much better overall now than they were a decade ago, but they still have a few key shortcomings; mostly relating to their batteries. Range anxiety is less of a problem these days, but eventually, after several years have passed, an EV battery simply won't be able to hold its charge as well as it once did.

This is, for the most part, an unavoidable problem with modern battery technology. However, some corporations are attempting to mitigate the issue by developing new battery cells that can last much longer before degrading to near-uselessness.

As reported by Bloomberg, one such company is Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL). CATL is apparently already prepared to begin production on batteries than can last an astounding 16 years, or 1.24 million miles, before needing a replacement.

For reference, many current EV batteries are rated for about 200,000 miles of usage, so that's quite a significant leap forward.

These new long-lasting batteries would cost about 10 percent more to produce on average, according to CATL Chairman Zeng Yuqun. That's not an insignificant price increase, but many EV makers will likely see it as a worthy trade-off -- consumers may be more willing to adopt EVs if they can be certain the batteries won't need to be replaced for at least a decade.

It remains to be seen how many companies will place an order with CATL for its new batteries.

Permalink to story.

While in general the quality of Chinese products has improved I will believe it when I see it. I don't find it to be a coincidence that Tesla comes out recently and says they have million mile batteries and then a Chinese company comes out and claims they beat it by 25%.

That said, I hope this is true because battery innovation, regardless of who it's from, is good for everyone.

But one more thing, hope many vehicles do we actually expect to get 1 million miles? When buying a car I aim for the $1500-2000 a year cost of ownership(purchase price and maintenance). What percentage of "million mile electric cars" do we expect to be on the road in 16 years? I realize that isn't exactly the point, but the claims seem kinda silly since the point is moot.

Uh huh. Given the quality of most chinese batteries I'll believe it when I see it. Keep in mind the Chinese government has its fingers int he pies of every chinese company, and they couldnt stop lying even when the health of the world was at stake.

That mileage number alone is suspect. 1.24 million miles eh? Based on what size car, what size battery, ece? Put a 100KW battery from a tesla in a mini and you'd probably get 400-500K miles out of it easy instead of 200k.

Like all battery manufacturers, including Tesla, there’s an unstated set of conditionals in there, at least as reported. With what % of battery degradation? If after half the lifetime you only have 25% of the capacity left, and after 16y/1 million+ miles the car can only go 10km on a full charge, the battery has lasted that long but not usefully.

What charging profile? Fast charging all the time affects the battery, if the claim and warranty depends on only slow charging at home, again it might be true but not useful.

What weather conditions? Heat is a battery killer, and cold can be too - if it only applies to a temperate seaside village with a nearly constant climate ...

What usage conditions? Nearly full to nearly empty all the time or lots of short trips, lots of use of hard acceleration all have an effect. What about use in the grid?

And, how do they know? The most rigorous and carefully planned set of tests can give results that aren’t met in real life due to something not thought of. Those batteries have, of course not been around for 16 years.

I’m not saying they aren’t good batteries. But I’d like to see the disclaimers.

China has already sold 5,000mAh 18650 batteries for years. If 1% original capacity is still "alive" then yeah China's batteries probably last over a million miles.

We have been burned by the Chinese on so many things, so many times, that I think the US should formally require our representatives to randomly select a number of these batteries for our own evaluation. That means we go to the factory, pick out, pack and ship them directly maintaining a chain of custody so there are no slip ups. Any push back from the Chinese and I would treat them like another "famous" phone maker from China .....

We have been burned by the Chinese on so many things, so many times, that I think the US should formally require our representatives to randomly select a number of these batteries for our own evaluation. That means we go to the factory, pick out, pack and ship them directly maintaining a chain of custody so there are no slip ups. Any push back from the Chinese and I would treat them like another "famous" phone maker from China .....
Like, you want to steal their technology?
/s

Yes except the fuel tank in a model T has lasted over 100+ years and if you've maintained it it still works fine.

Electric cars need the longevity of real cars before anyone should take them seriously.

Who drives 77,500 miles per year? Those batteries will almost last a human lifetime in a passenger vehicle. 1,250,000 mile life / 20,000 miles per year = 62.5 year battery life. You can google Jeff Dahn to learn more about the researchers behind this advancement.

"can last an astounding 16 years, or 1.24 million miles, before needing a replacement."____ 16 years or 1,240,000 miles...!? Which one...?! Something in not right here Cohen...! Lots of difference between the two...!

Many years before Tesla and the Chinese, Rimac said they can make batteries last for 20 years of normal usage, just by charging them in a proper way. He said that batteries can outlive the car, unless you plan to drive your car for way longer than a normal person would.

But the battery manufacturers at that time didn't like the idea of long-living batteries. It was interfering with their sales.

Back