Chinese hackers target smart cards to grab US defense data

By Leeky
Jan 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In the latest blow to U.S. cybersecurity, hackers based in China have managed to infiltrate the supposedly secure smart card system used by U.S. Government employees, according to a report…

Read the whole story
  2. Why won't the government just wisen up and force dual-factor authentication with a frequently changing pin (30 seconds?) and limit it to one authentication per pin, combined with a well thought out internal permissions and limit greatly the ability to grant permissions to people except to those with enough IT knowledge to not get virus's...

Side note, posting as an anon, it has asked me the same 'random question' 3 times in a row.
  3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Once they're in they can access all of our computer based training material, which is most everything except hands on.
  4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

This is why we should keep our sensitive data on paper in vaults :D

Really, the US needs to take responsiblity and keep a tighter regulation on what employees can use their work computers for and what flash drives etc. can be plugged into them. I bought a few kensington usb docks for laptops and they can somehow bypass windows 7 and autorun the program that installs their driver. You just plug it in and bam! the driver gets installed off the flash memory in the dock. After it installed, it showed a cd was in drive e: in my computer. There was no real cd in, it was merely a u3-like technology aka a virtual cd drive. Autorun was disabled btw.
  5. I'm a bit surprised they haven't switched to a dual factor authentication system with a pin that changes every 30 seconds or so, and have each pin - password key combination only usable once, combined with strict access permissions on every document. Then only give permission to change access permission to those with the knowledge of avoiding virus's.
  6. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

All these breaches tell me, is that the US does not care about your information. How many times has information not even been encrypted for example? Too many.
  7. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

silly america
  8. Posting on this site is higher security than government smart cards.
  9. ephraim25

ephraim25 TS Rookie

Chine Really are Hackers..... They wanted to be the superior country..