TechSpot

Chinese site posts Lynnfield CPUs benchmark results

By Jos
Aug 3, 2009
  1. We’re still about a month away from the expected launch of Intel’s Lynnfield processors, but as usual some folks seem to have gotten hold of these parts a little earlier than everybody else. Specifically, Chinese website PConline has posted a full review of two upcoming LGA-1156 parts – the Core i5 750 and Core i7 870.

Read the whole story

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

Why oh why must they keep making new sockets?! Just for once I want to take my 2 year old socket LG775 motherboard with DDR3 and 1600 MHz FSB and upgrade it to the next generation CPU! Why must Intel make CPU's faster with more pins? Why not just faster?!

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

Because the features that make it faster NEED more pins, but your right, intel is abusing their market dominance by creating many differently priced motherboard sockets targeted toward different market segments, unlike AM3 which is backwards compatible but also makes room for further development.

4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Integrated mem controller... then I guess different flavours of it. Not having done any research on it, at a guess, I'd say an i5 has a dual channel controller? i7s have triple channel hence the extra pins.

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

I'm not really upset at this news as its a good heads up for people looking to buy phenom cpus, watch the price drop even more. Although the article says "dont take this to heart," but we all know these surface because they really exist.. GG for Intel, and GG for future phenom purchases, you'll get your money's worth.

6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,570   +338

IMHO the need to change sockets this often is manufacturer BS.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,819   +922

This actually makes a lot of sense. What would the answer be if you added the 775 pins of a standard CPU with the number of pins on a North Bridge, 1366 ? (or thereabouts)

And Darth Shiv, "flavours" drives Firefox's spell checker nuts. I'd betcha "colours" would too. ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.