TechSpot

Chipset update causes BSOD

By Terwilliger
May 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have an nforce 730a and every time I update the chipset drivers I get a BSOD. Its recreatable so if this DMP file doesnt help I can get another.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

It may be a memory problem... or a problem hard drive
    atapi.sys and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Atapi.sys has to do with the hard drive controller

3. Terwilliger

Terwilliger TS Rookie Topic Starter

The HD controller is part of the chipset.

4. Tmagic650

Yes, so what are you going to do?

5. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Maniac Posts: 458   +54

I'm not sure whether Terwilliger is trying to solve a problem or simply creating one by pursuing an unnecessary update. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

6. Terwilliger

It is broken though. I cant update my video drivers because they are incompatable with my current Chipset drivers.

7. Tmagic650

What are you computers specs Terwilliger?

8. Terwilliger

Nforce 730a Mobo
    Geforce GTX 460 graphics card
    8 GB OCZ Geforce DDR2 Ram
    Phenom II 940 3.0 GHz Processor
    800 Watt Power Supply
    Ive tried an IDE and SATA HDD but they both have the same effects

9. Tmagic650

You might need to install Windows fresh and make sure you go to the motherboards support site and download all the motherboard drivers from there

10. Terwilliger

I have done this. I have tried Windows XP/Vista/7. It does the same thing for all of them. I think its a hardware issue. But I cant figure out what it is.

11. Tmagic650

Yes it is a hardware issue... maybe time for a new motherboard?

12. bazz2004

"It is broken though. I cant update my video drivers because they are incompatable with my current Chipset drivers." Sorry to be slow but how do things look if you don't update the video drivers and use the originals. It is a motherboard with onboard graphics isn't it? I have an old XP tower connnected to a large screen TV. I had to go back through the archived nVidia drivers before I found some that worked. Since then I've been slow to "update" drivers.

13. Terwilliger

I purchased a new motherboard. But I still wish to figure out whats wrong if anything is wrong. with this one.

14. Tmagic650

Well, when you install the new motherboard and install Windows, be sure to only install the network driver from the supplied disc, so you can get to the motherboards support website and download all the latest chipset driver and then install all the other drivers from there. Stick with an antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials and a temp file cleaner from Oldtimer... Keep any attached USB devices to a minimum during the initial Windows install

15. bazz2004

Don't worry about problems with the old motherboard now that you've replaced it. It'll be easy enough to find some more with the new one.

Doctor John likes this.
  16. Tmagic650

bazz2004, don't be so hard on Terwilliger. If he needs to find trouble with all things, maybe his computer will actually be one less thing for him to trouble about now :)

17. bazz2004

You're right but computers are generally reliable these days. If you just looked at this section of the forum you'd never want one. How many of these problems are self inflicted via compulsive updating, slapping in the max amount of the wrong ram and installing supa doopa hardware which the system can't handle?

18. Tmagic650

So terwilliger, what have you done?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.