Choosing a gaming monitor to maximize performance

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum (So I'm not able to post links, I'll give the names though, and if it helps, I use newegg), and although I've been pc gaming for a while, I need help choosing a monitor that will really help to maximize the potential performance of my custom-built computer. I waned to find a monitor that I could really be amazed in its performance, but I do realize that my price range of about $200-$250 is really picky. If it helps at all, this is the video card that I am currently using.

ASUS EAH4870 DARK KNIGHT 1G

I built my computer about a year ago, and I'm starting to think it might be time to upgrade the card as well, but that's for another time. I've been using my brother's ASUS 24 inch monitor, but now I want to buy one for myself, and give him his. I just want a monitor that can maximize the potential performance, like I said, though I'm not an expert in the specifications of monitors. I've been looking at these so far, and any suggestions/explanations would be very appreciated.

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR)

SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

I'm also wondering how the size effects gaming visuals, and if it's really worth it, as well as how much of an impact a big contrast ratio has

Thanks so much.

Well a monitor isn't really going to "maximize gaming performance" but buying a high-quality display will enhance visual quality... if that's what you mean. For gaming, a lot of people choose to go with 1920x1200 (16:10) but those monitors can be harder to find and will be more expensive. Basically you just want a fast response time and at least a 40,000:1 ratio. This will give you great visuals and allow your graphics card to utilize its gaming potential. I'd recommend 22" and above but the resolution and color ratio is more important. The response time should be anywhere from 2ms to 5ms but it's not super important.

What EX said, most folks state that 24" is where the "immersive" experience starts.

**don't get to hung up on the contrast ratio, they are measured in different ways and are largely useless (made up) for the average consumer to sort out.

well red, some of us like to have accurate color and black/white values and calibration for graphics and 3D :p

I think most of would like that, problem is those contrast ratio numbers are nearly useless when provided by the manufacturer. There are different ways to measure it and they typically report the highest possible number they can since people like big numbers.

well red, some of us like to have accurate color and black/white values and calibration for graphics and 3D :p

LNCPapa said;
I think most of would like that, problem is those contrast ratio numbers are nearly useless when provided by the manufacturer. There are different ways to measure it and they typically report the highest possible number they can since people like big numbers.

I do as well, but like Papa and I said...the numbers are 'made up' and don't reflect accuratly anything to base a purchase on.

I saw a monitor once that had a claimed 1000000:1 contrast ratio....i mean you can only get so black or white :p :)

****BTW EX, did you ever try this mod out after they got it working? and what did you think?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete

No, I wasn't aware there were releases; I haven't played it in ages...

and as far as contrast ratios go i've clearly had better results with calibration on units with higher numbers, although anything above 50,000:1 isn't really noticeable--especially with games. when i have to calibrate my monitor for graphics work i get much better color tones than with the lousy screens at work; those are only 2500:1 respectively. you may not be able to notice the difference just by looking at it but when you print it out and the colors are wrong don't complain

not the point though EX, the contrast ratio rating is arrived at by several different methods. So while you may have purchased monitor that has a huge contrast ratio, and in fact has a quality contrast ratio, many manufacturers claim a huge contrast ratio when in fact it is nowhere as good as the one you have for example....in other words for example;

Brand A claims a contrast ratio of 50,000:1
Brand B Claims a contrast ration of 20,000:1

It is entirely possible that that the contrast ratios are exactly identical and Brand A is just fluffing the numbers, it happens all the time.

From Maximum Tech:
Contrast-ratio specs are tremendously inflated. For the best LCDs, scientifically measured contrast ratios are actually between 1,500 and 2,000. But manufacturers almost never publish real contrast ratios anymore. You’ll only find these true values in a small number of articles and publications. Yes, contrast-ratio values have been steadily improving over the years, but the year-to-year change is relatively small, which isn’t good for marketing.

The balance of the srticle can be read here:
http://www.maximumtech.com/display-...itor-hdtv-companies-cook-their-specs?page=0,1

Here is that Sony "1,000,000: 1 preposterousness i was referring to
3_sony_full.jpg

anyway, like i said previously, while you definitely want a good contrast ratio, I surely would not base my purchase on the 'claimed' contrast numbers as they are useless as ....<<< (insert your favorite pithy comment)

The 'Response time' section of the article is very revealing as well. Largely more of the same marketing gimmicks.

i don't care about the accuracy or truth behind the numbers, i'm just looking at the results from experience. it may not be so important for gaming since the rendering is so fast but black and white is quite important with graphics and print. i would recommend the OP to look at the options of overall resolution and screen size as the most important factors. i like having richer colors so i apologize if i have stirred up such a controversial topic. never again will i state anything about contrast ratios in a thread... wow

I thought it was a great thing to "stir up". if the OP or others are paying a premium for a ratio that means nothing...I think it's a good thing to bring to their attention. That way they can choose a monitor on the other qualities you are speaking of.

Just my opinion JC, but I like this buying guide for monitors. It informs you of what you are paying for , and why.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-7610_7-200-1.html?tag=page;page

Back