Choosing a GPU at an unusually low price

By mopar man
Feb 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking for a GPU, Case, and PSU for under $50. I know, it's insane. If nothing else, I can skip the case part, and only get a PSU and GPU. I'd like the best brand possible for that price range.

I know, $50 isn't enough really, but it's all I can get right now, so bare with me.

PCIX16 btw.
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,492

Dustin, I've been wanting anything in the 8000 series for a long time now, but as I've just said, my budget is insanely small.

The reason I'm willing to (as some would put it) 'waste' the money on a card at these prices is simply because I'm only going to be playing games at CS:S level on it, and I don't really need anything more. I love gaming, but I refuse to waste more than I can afford on buying a PC when I can get what I need for this price, I'm certain.

The reason I said a new PSU is because the (only) one I have is only 250Watt with nowhere near enough Amps on the 12+Volt rail, so anything more than the current 6200 would end up being too much. I believe it was the 6200 that cause my last PSU in the system to fail. I booted up, started CS:S up at a LAN party, then boom, powers off, and nothing will turn back on.
  4. dustin_ds3000

well im sorry to say you wont find any video card and psu together under $50. check on ebay or wait a few more months to save up the money
  5. mopar man

Well, that's kind of what I was aiming for, even something used.

I was mainly asking what card out of the low-end series (such as the 3450) I should look into.
  6. brotheryang17

brotheryang17 Newcomer, in training

7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

I will assume you will want an ATX power supply, the sunbeam one looks pretty shoddy, and i would actually recommend an hd 4000 card, they actually cost less for an equivalently performing card.

Im sorry, i can't seem to find a power supply on newegg with proper connectors...maybe ask rage.

I would say a MSI R4350-D256H Radeon HD 4350 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail for $34, a bit high

I would recommend the Nvidia 7000 series over their 8000 series except for 8800, i think...not too familiar with older cards.

Check out Tom's GPU Heirarchy charts:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2033-7.html
  8. brotheryang17

brotheryang17 Newcomer, in training

The 4350 would probably be a better choice but as for a psu you cant get to much better with the limited budget. If you don't feel comfortable about getting such a cheap psu you could always wait cause i cant really say i would recommend it
  9. dustin_ds3000

yea buying a cheap psu is like using a needle that has been used 100 times before you
  10. mopar man

I know more than most seem to be giving me credit for... :)

The PSU is the most important aspect of the PC in my opinion, no denying that. BUT, I could deal with a 'mid-line' brand and 'size' of PSU because if/when it fails, it won't bother me very much, honestly, as I'll always have a secondary system to fall back on.

I had actually completely forgotten about the 4K series aside from the 4850, honestly.

I am looking forward to when Rage does see this thread, for the PSU aspect. I am set on the 4350 now, but unless I can find an affordable PSU, I'm just going to have to wait unless I were to risk running it on the very abused (by me) 250 I'm running right now.
  11. hellokitty[hk]

12. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

13. hellokitty[hk]

Dunno what 7000 series cards use, but you should still consider the limited connectors.
  14. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Does not matter. You can use a converter for a PCI-E power connector, which the 7300GT does not need anyways.
  15. mopar man

Thanks Rage, that's great, exaclty what I need.
  16. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd Newcomer, in training Posts: 238

if u are not using DX10 u could buy a 7800gt or 7950GX2 on ebay, saw one for $60 2 weeks ago
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.