TechSpot

Choosing Security Programs

By uny2bld
Jan 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I purchased a 3 year subscription to Kaspersky for all our computers. I wanted to make sure we were completely secure so I downloaded MalwareBytes as well but I've heard great things about Windows Defernder also... can I install and run this program as well or will there be conflicts with the other two?

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,852   +184

Yes you can. It never hurts to have more then one Malware program.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,317   +239

4. uny2bld

uny2bld TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the replies. Is Windows 7 and Windows Vista the same thing? Strange question I bet but I still have the manufacture stickers on the computer which says "Windows 7" but when I went to install Windows Defender, I got a popup message saying that "Windows Defender is already installed on Windows Vista"...

anyway, I have Malwarebytes and it caught a bunch of stuff... are all those other programs really necessary? holy cow...

5. learninmypc

They're different Operating Systems & yes, Windows Defender comes with both of them. I have both Vista & W7 & I have windows defender disabled on both. I use the programs I mentioned on both machines & no hassles.

6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

One point of note: It's helpful to have more then one anti-Malware program available on your system BUT you should only have one providing "real-time" protection. The others are to be invoked "on-demand" when needed.

Cobalt006 likes this.
  7. Cobalt006

There is know need to install a bunch .Just use the one malware program you have. Install spyware blaster. Leave windows defender on. If you set your security in your browser for third party cookies not to be accepted. Plus run a good antvirus and firewall you should be fine. I have not any spyware for a long time. I check my computer once a week.

8. learninmypc

I believe the built in firewall on both Vista & W7 is good enough. I don't use a 3rd party firewall on either. But to each their own.

Cobalt006 likes this.
  9. Cobalt006

:) Yes windows 7- 8 firewall is good enough. Even better if you are behind a good router.

learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.