TechSpot

Choosing the right HD for my comp

By ribbs
Dec 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Gateway 835gm.. Not sure what year it was made, it was givin to me by my aunt. My question is.. what would be a decent hard drive for it because this one is about to die... I can hear the pins clicking basically on every app I load and on boot up... also on shut down... so i'm assuming it is on its last legs.

thanks for any help
    ribbs

2. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

If you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to start backing up any essential data that is stored on the hard drive. Not sure what your budget is but the Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB is a good drive for around $65.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 956   +49

Quick google search leads me here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5022/5022nv.shtml

If that is your system, then pretty much any SATA Hard drive can be used as a replacement. I prefer Samsung over Western Digital, but both are good companies. Hitachi is generally good as well, though no one is willing to let go the old deskstar/deathstar stigma.

Also, about the click, are you sure that the sound is not just the drive seeking around? Some drives are quite loud, such as the 3.5" WD Raptor drives or many WD green drives (seagate can be loud too).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.