Choppy video

Mark Fuller

I recently changed my power supply because it went out. I upgraded to a 480 watt from a 400 and now the dvd's (standard and blue ray) have choppy video. I have a hp pavilion d4100y with wxp. It plays audio cd's just fine.

Can you post your full system specs and whether you are running the Windows Aero or Basic theme? Thanks.

I have a 3.2ghz processor with 4gb ram. I need to know how to tell if I am running Windows Aero or Basic.
No problem, I was hoping you would ask! If your desktop looks like this, then you are running aero. Sometimes changing the theme helps people with choppy playback since it used less VRAM. So in order to recommend a solution, I need to know what theme you are using. Thanks!

I think aero applies to windows 7, I still have wxp. I intend to upgrade shortly.
Oh ok. I knew some people who had to change to theme to stop the chopiness, so I recommended it. But since you have WXP, it is probably a GPU driver thing. Do you know what type of GPU you have?

The blue ray drive plays a prerecorded dvd just fine with cyberlink software but not with my recorded dvd's or with windows media player, but the dvdrw won't read the prerecorded dvd and still plays my recorded dvd's choppy. Maybe this post belongs in the audio/video forum.

Could it possibly something to do with the master/slave switches on the drives themselves or the way I hooked it up? In the BIOS is says:

First Channel Device 0 [ST3160023A5 ]
First Channel Device 1 [ATAPI iHOS10]
Second Channel Device 0 [NONE]
Second Channel Device 1 [NONE]
Third Channel Device 0 [TSSTcorp CD/DVD]
Third Channel Device 1 [NONE]

Back