Chrome 18 enables GPU-powered Canvas 2D, adds SwiftShader

By Matthew
Mar 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has released the latest stable version of Chrome (v18.0.1025.142 for those counting), bringing nine security fixes and more notably, enhanced support for graphically intensive applications. Previously offered in beta,…

Read the whole story
  2. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

hmm I'm getting 60 with firefox nightly at windowed resolution and full screen(2560x1600). Is there a more intensive test?
  3. killamoves

killamoves TS Rookie Posts: 18

Went from 14 fps with 1000 fish before the update to 60 fps after.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,377

An impressive improvement in speed. All IE10 speed tests Chrome churns through effortlessly, unlike it was before. Before this update Chrome was far behind in FPS from IE10, and now they are at par.

Well done, Google!
  5. sapo joe

sapo joe TS Member Posts: 81   +6

Still, no x64 version of Chrome. Still, I'm with Firefox x64. WAKE UP GOOGLE!
  6. 60 FPS solid with Waterfox, all fish tank numbers, Chrome, not so much.......

Noticed, Waterfox uses video card to accelerate, Chrome didnt.......
  7. For 1000 fish, went from less than 4 fps in Chrome 17 to 55-60 fps in Chrome 18. Running AMD A8 APU with ATI HD6250 on the chip. 4 GB ram. 64-bit Win7 Ult. If this keeps up, I'm back to Chrome; finally! :)
  8. with chrome i cant have the same zoom page on all web pages. so i stay on opera.
  9. updated that command and conquer alliances in the browser before was fine.... now slow and laggy have to use a different browser to play the game now clearly not quite right......
  10. Great. Google Chrome 18 totally broke font rendering for me. Text is almost impossible to read. I suspect it is this feature... and I can't find a way how to deactivate it. Thanks, Google.