TechSpot

Chrome extension and Kinect control the browser with gestures

By Emil
Nov 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. A group of students at the MIT Media Lab Fluid Interfaces Group, devoted to move UI design past the typical keyboard-and-mouse interface, has turned the Kinect motion controller into a tool for Web browsing. They wrote an extension for Google Chrome called DepthJS (yes, it uses Javascript) so that surfers can manipulate the browser with just gestures.

Read the whole story

2. bioflex

bioflex TS Rookie Posts: 70

sweet, the possibilities of kinect are endless. cant wait to grab one for my own self.

3. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 457   +54

I can see how this tech could be useful, but it's still early days. It's clearly slow and laggy, and imagine an office full of users waving their tired arms around all day.

4. g4mer

g4mer TS Maniac Posts: 310

Its like VSync was on.

5. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 157   +15

Nice, although the traditional mouse and keyboard is far better. I mean you can get tired waving your hand just to click a link, too much energy is wasted for simple navigation.

6. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TS Enthusiast Posts: 121   +8

This is great. This shows one of the capabilties of kinect. Nice! I hope it gets just as capable as the fictional motionsensors in "ironman". "arms getting tired" it might happen, but you'll get exercise on them shoulders =P. Maybe they can set codes for just flickin your finger in the air while your hands are on the table. Just saying that theirs a lot that can be done by developing software for this device

7. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

I see this more as an addition to the Keyboard and Mouse rather than a replacement. Sometimes it would be nice to just flick your hand and remove crap off the screen. At other times a mouse is definintely the better way to go for accuracy.