Civ V has strange display in DX9 - too slow for DX10 or 11

By tmw
Sep 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I installed Civ 5 today and everything went fine. There was a bit of lag in the opening movie which I was expecting because I have never had a graphically strong laptop so the first thing I usually do when installing PC games is turn everything onto low, which is fine by me.

But the game still lagged while running in Direct X 11, so I tried to run it in DX 9 mode, which starts, but strangely the text appears as the following on each and every menu and in game screen.

See attached.

To run the game in DX 9 mode I choose the option from the Steam installer, which gives me the choice, but have also tried directly from the game .exe file, to no avail.

What can I do to get this game to run in DX 9 mode without any text distortion?

All replies would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    tmw.

Attached Files:

2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,231   +119

3. tmw

tmw Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thanks for that the solution worked for me. I know its not technically a solution, just making the best of it really but at least I can play the game now.

Thanks a lot!
  4. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,231   +119

Glad it helped. it will probably be fixed in a patch or so. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.