Classic Doom mod adds ray tracing support

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: You might be thinking a game this old couldn't possibly look too much better just with improved lighting, but I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised by what the mod enables. Dimly-lit, ho-hum hallways transform into treacherous passageways full of mystique. If you've ever played Doom 3, the ambience feels a lot like that.

id Software's Quake II received the ray tracing treatment in 2019, and similar support came to Doom Eternal last year. Now, it's time for the game that started it all to get some new eye candy.

Modder sultim_t has added real-time path tracing support to the PrBoom source port of the 1993 classic.

The necessary source code and playable build can be downloaded over on GitHub, along with instructions on how to get up and running. Note that you'll need a copy of the game's original DOOM.wad file to play.

GitHub also plays host to an optional high-quality music pack and files to support Nvidia's DLSS rendering technology.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Disabling the bloom option makes this look much better, for those that are going to give it a try.

Also advise dropping a DLSS dll in the folder if you want to play 4K60FPS.

If you need DLSS for 4K60 does that mean it’s possible to spend $1200 on something like a 6900XT and it won’t be able to give you a good experience in doom with ray tracing at 4K?

Ray tracing isn’t that important sure but if I were buying a new GPU for 6900XT prices (or even 6700XT prices tbf) I’d expect it to run these sort of “enthusiast” mods.

If you need DLSS for 4K60 does that mean it’s possible to spend $1200 on something like a 6900XT and it won’t be able to give you a good experience in doom with ray tracing at 4K?

Ray tracing isn’t that important sure but if I were buying a new GPU for 6900XT prices (or even 6700XT prices tbf) I’d expect it to run these sort of “enthusiast” mods.

Just ran it on my RTX 3080.

With DLSS 'Balanced' I was getting 4K 60fps on the opening level with GPU usage at ~80% raising that to 'Quality' gets 50-60fps with GPU usage sitting at 99%

(See full size image in forum mode)
ZZLJdET.jpg

AFAIK, 6900XT & RTX 3080 are roughly similar in RT performance, but without DLSS, the 6900XT will be getting significantly lower FPS than my 3080 when using RT.

Last edited:

With DLSS 'Balanced' I was getting 4K 60fps on the opening level with GPU usage at ~80% raising that to 'Quality' gets 50-60fps with GPU usage sitting at 99%

ZZLJdET.jpg

AFAIK, 6900XT & RTX 3080 are roughly similar in RT performance, but without DLSS, the 6900XT will be getting significantly lower FPS than my 3080 when using RT.
A 6900XT is no where near as fast as a 3080 in RT performance.

D0ACA684-D3F2-4BD2-BC48-94A93F8A12A9.jpeg
Not sure where you got that idea from..

Last edited:
I would play it. I have played Doom many times. It remains fun but I don't like all the light on the floor

ZZLJdET.jpg

Are you kidding, even 3060 Ti is faster than 6900XT in ray tracing.
Go see how AMD GPUs perform in Metro Exodus EE which uses RT and it can't be disabled only lowered :p

Metro.png

Back