Clean off linux and start fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer with two ahrdrives. The primary is a 160Gb with windows. the scond is a 30 Gb with Ubuntu linux. It is currently set to defaults to load linux but I'e ben having trouble with it. I am planning on giving the computer away to my brotehr-in-law for college. I want to format both hard drives and install windows only on the 160 Gb, then format the 30Gb so it is accessable from Windows and can be used to backup his papers, music, whatever.

What is the best way to go about this. there is nothing that needs saving on the computer and I have my WinXP SP2 disc an the motherboard disc so a clean sweep is actually my #1 goal. Should/Can I get a boot disk that will format both drives, then install windows on the big one?

Any opinions or options are appreciated.

just reformat the 30gb to ntfs, but first fix the MBR to remove the dual boot.

Jobeard,

Thanks for the reply. I've got two confusing points.

First is that when i boot into windows I can't see the 30Gb dirve in windows. How can I format it.

Secondly, (newbie question) how to I fix the MBR. I expected when i formatted both drives and clean-install of windows would just make it all okay.

how to I fix the MBR. I expected when i formatted both drives and clean-install of windows would just make it all okay.
do this first before you reformat :)
the KB article is here

TheBuda said:
when i boot into windows I can't see the 30Gb dirve in windows. How can I format it.
cp->admin tools->Disk Manager
you should see all partitions
select the ext2 or ext3 (linux) OR the 30gb
you should be able to reformat it from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back