Clearwire announces three new WiMax modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Clearwire has announced three new modems that should make it easier for folks to hop on 4G with their mobile devices: the Clear Spot 4G, Clear Spot 4G+, and Clear 4G+ Mobile USB. The Clear Spot 4G connects up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices to Clearwire and Sprint's joint 4G WiMax network (where available, obviously), and it costs $100 outright or it can be leased for $5 a month.

The Clear Spot 4G+ has the added functionality of being able to switch to the EVDO 3G network when 4G isn't available, and it supports up to five Wi-Fi devices. It can be bought for $225 or leased for $6 per month. The 4G+ S Series USB modem also features the ability to jump between 3G and 4G networks, and it's compatible with both OS X and Windows-based machines. It costs $115 or $6 each month.

All three devices are up for preorder with a July release window. They can be coupled with unlimited data plans that start as low as $30 (home) or $40 (mobile) in most markets, which is currently limited to a handful of large US cities.

Permalink to story.

Unlimited data for $30 is very good, here in the UK all the mobile operators scrapping Unlimited data packages becuase users use too much. 4G coverage is pretty poor here in the UK with very few places getting it, however I hear you can get some pretty impressive speeds. useless too me I get no Mobile coverage let alone 3G here in Gloucestershire, Its all hills and I in a valley. Mobile coverage in general is patchy outside of towns and citys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back