TechSpot

Clearwire expands 4G WiMAX service to more cities

By Jos
May 5, 2010
  1. Clearwire, Comcast and Sprint today announced plans to launch their respective WiMAX mobile services in several additional cities this summer. The rollout will focus heavily on Florida cities such as Daytona, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. At the same time, the so-called 4G service will also launch in the previously-announced Kansas City, St. Louis and Salt Lake City, but major cities such as New York, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. will still have to wait.

Read the whole story

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I'm confused - are WiMAX and LTE compatible? To the point, if I have a WiMAX device today, will it work on an LTE network tomorrow? Because in other recent news Sprint's CEO has gone on the record saying that he doesn't mind a technology agnostic approach, and if his competitors supported LTE, and if that's what his customers wanted then he would switch to meets his customers needs.

I've been told that Sprint partner's with Verizon, so this makes sense to me, especially if Verizon picks LTE moving forward. Sprint brings a good price and Verizon's great coverage, that's my idea of the best of both worlds.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.