TechSpot

Clever anti-piracy tech Cinavia finally gets beaten

By Scorpus
May 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Cinavia is one of the most interesting anti-piracy technologies going around. Designed to hamper and prevent the copying and sharing of films, Cinavia watermarks the audio stream in such a way that survives transcoding, compression, recording and many modifications. The...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

The best DRM is making a product good enough that people really want to buy it.

3. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Rookie Posts: 66   +14

Cinavia detection is done on Blu-Ray drives right? Who would rip a blu-ray movie and play it through a blu-ray drive? I would just keep it on the hard drive and play it through that.

4. CJ100570

CJ100570 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Cinavia prevents playback by embedding a signal that will only allow playback by devices that have the ability to decode that signal. Hence the reason ripping and playback of a Cinavia encrypted disc has been so hard to accomplish. Typically the disc is played using a Blu-Ray drive which has the decoding hardware/software. When you rip a disc you're bypassing the drive to play the file back and thus you end up with no sound because the drive isn't decoding the signal.

5. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 92   +34

Maybe because you are burning a movie for a friend or family member that doesnt have a PC connected to their TV? Try thinking..

6. Seabs

Seabs TS Rookie

AnyDVD-HD from SlySoft already prevents most software players from recognizing the Cinavia watermark on cloned Blu-Ray copies, thus negating the dubious "protection."

7. HurpityDurp111

HurpityDurp111 TS Rookie

Lol thanks. You beat me to it. People rip Blu-ray movies and upload them or torrent them. The people who download them, sometimes want to convert from MKV to MP4, then burn to dual layer DVD. Then put that DVD into a PS3. If the movie was watermarked, then after 15-20 minutes of viewing, the PS3 would detect cinavia and mute the audio permanently.

I circumvent this by disconnecting my PS3 from the network. It prevents the PS3 from doing the necessary online check to match the movie to Cinavia. Problem solved, although quite annoying.

Also, I can copy the movie directly to my PS3 using PS3 Media Server, but in order to watch it, I must disconnect the PS3 from the net. No point taking the chance because once it's detected, the file is blacklisted forever.

If that happens, you must mux the video again but with a different filename.

8. This made my day. I hate Cinavia

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +314

So I can now rip my Blu-rays to my server? Finally! Now I can play my movies through my AppleTV's throughout my house. Glad this has finally been cracked...

10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

I don't know. There are lots of blu ray players for pcs. Do they all detect cinavia?

11. I played DVD and BR rips through Plex in my PS3, Cinavia activated and boom! audio off.

I think the price is too high for such a small movie catalog.

Or you can just stream your movies with Plex through Chromecast without Cinavia problems ;)

12. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

Using a blu-ray player, how quaint...

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,685   +60

I'd just use a flash drive. But I bet this software was quite annoying for the sleezy lookin guy in front of the Mexican grocery store selling bootleg dvds.

14. Follow the music model, that is no DRM and make things a reasonable cost. For music $0.99 was the sweet spot. Find out what that is for movies and you'll still make money.

15. Could not agree more, the right price + quality product = happy customers buying your product

16. Stijo Mathew

Stijo Mathew TS Rookie

Hi Guys
    I tried to copy a cinavia protected BluRay using DVD Ranger but it failed.The movie was released in 2013.
    Next level I tried it with AnyDVD HD and it successfully copied the Dual layer 43.3GB to my Hard disk, beaten Cinavia.There is no mute no watermark it plays perfectly.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.