Clicking HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

versyficator

Hi everyone. I have a clicking hard drive. I know that it is dead but I want to give it a go and try to pull out the platter and drop it into a new drive. The data is not essential, I just want to give it a go. Its been done before. see this link:

http://www.freewebs.com/bgotchall/index.htm

Question: Apparently, I need to get an identical HDD to drop the platter into. I have found many in yahoo japan auction ( I live in Japan). But how close do I need to be with the model #'s? Example:
Mine is Western Digital 1600BB-98FTAO
The one I found for $16 is Western Digital 1600BB-22GUAO

is this close enough??

I'd say yes, close enough.

Also you could try freezing the harddrive in the freezer (in a sealed plastic bag) for about 2hrs.
Then quickly plug it in, doing this will allow access to the harddrive for about 10 or 15 mins (sometimes)
Just in case you did need data off it

I haven't switched platters before, they're much to easy to damage and finger prints are devistating. But to great success and on many occasions I've switched circuit boards on drives that have the click-of-death. They're usually held in by several screws and an interface connector. What I've found is that the controller on the circuit card is to blame for the clicks, and not the platters. I've found subtle differences do exist in version numbers, and especially to the circuit card to drive interfaces. So I had to keep model number and version numbers in the same set.

This is a fun exercise, and you get to play with some strong magnets from the dead drive. Have a good time!

What I've found is that the controller on the circuit card is to blame for the clicks, and not the platters
Remember, moving parts? Fans Cdrom and HardDrives
It's the arm that clicks on the platters, or on the side of the case (it's moving, not emitting noise from a speaker - although some of them sound like they are with squeels!)

ok, HDD model #'s and version #s

Thnks. Ill look into all of this. Any idea what the significance of the model and version #s are?? For example, actually different parts or just different production date, location etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back