1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloning a hdd in XP new drive gets message Missing Operating System

By gsheede ยท 6 replies
Mar 21, 2010
  1. My Sony VGC RB38G runs Windows Media Center 2005 Xp, the hdd is orginal still, and is fuctioning yet and is only 250GB. I bought a 500GB Seagate Barracuda and used the Seatools to Clone, yet it will not start. I can see it in My Computer as drive F and I can see in the BIOS.

Any help here???

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,412   +109

So you cloned the 250GB to 500GB. So does the 500GB have XP on it or are you just using it as a additional storage. You might want to do that. Leave the 250GB as the Primary C: then have the 500GB as archive media storage. There you can have all your music, pictures, music for Media Center 2005. This way you don't have to clone the HDD.

C: 250GB (OS/Programs/MCE)
    D: 500GB (Media)
    E: DVD/CD

3. gsheede

gsheede TS Rookie Topic Starter

500 hdd

I was hoping to use the cloned 500GB drive as the main since, I hope the cloning would have also copied the XP over. I see files on this new drive and would consider yet another new 500 Gb drive for back up. I am worried the orginal drive is 7 - 8 years old that it will go bye bye sometime.

4. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 58

Did you change the boot order?

5. macharia

macharia TS Rookie

ihav a dell inspirion 6400 i want to remove the power on password
    plz help

6. Decimae

Decimae TS Rookie Posts: 78

@macharia: change some settings in the bios. If it doesn't work, start a new topic.

@ghsheede: Try cloning the disk with another program, to a 250 gb partition on the new disk, which you'll enlarge with something like Gparted or similar.

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,412   +109

If you clone 250GB onto a 500GB only 250GB will be use on 500GB thus leaving an space for another partition that you can format under Windows. Or using Boot disc with Fdisk/Format. Or Windows XP setup can make additional format partition.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.