CMD prompt not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i type cmd into run the screen goes black and only shows my desktop wallpaper thats it

s718.photobucket.com/albums [delete] /ww188/maxib123/?action=view&current=Blankscreen.jpg

Hi,

Just need a bits of info...

What OS are you using? Eg XP Vista
Also can you load that picture again. Seems you've miss linked it and its not worked.

Thanks,

Hi,

Just need a bits of info...

What OS are you using? Eg XP Vista
Also can you load that picture again. Seems you've miss linked it and its not worked.

Thanks,

hi
i am using xp.
there is a space in th address because i cannot place web adresses on posts yet as this is my first post

aah i see so the delete needed to be deleted i see. Thought it was a strange URL for photo bucket.

Go to Start > Run > type in:

command.com

Does that give you the same result just a black screen and then wall paper?

Depending on what happens there will determine what happens next. Also can you answer these questions to:

How long has this happened for?
Before you noticed command prompt playing up what were you doing?
Had you used MSCONFIG or played with any start-up entries?
Have you uninstalled any software?

Sorry for all the questions its just it quite weird but we will see what happens when you reply.

LookinAround said:
That problem is also symptomatic of a virus that's circulating!

well you hit the nail on the head there. I'm waiting on the reply before i went ahead but just checking command.com to see if that gives the same result and also if its sudden then I'm guessing its linked. Will wait for a reply and then probably send the OP over to the correct forum.

Well, it's good news, bad news.

I may have been the one to hit the nail on head right away....

But that's only because i just saw this problem on a friend's computer (and am still battling to try and help fix it) see this

aah i see so the delete needed to be deleted i see. Thought it was a strange URL for photo bucket.

Go to Start > Run > type in:

command.com

Does that give you the same result just a black screen and then wall paper?

Depending on what happens there will determine what happens next. Also can you answer these questions to:

How long has this happened for?
Before you noticed command prompt playing up what were you doing?
Had you used MSCONFIG or played with any start-up entries?
Have you uninstalled any software?

Sorry for all the questions its just it quite weird but we will see what happens when you reply.

O yes command.com i had forgotten about that - it works anyway

but i did find that regedit did not work so i followed the link used all of the anti-malware programes but still does not work and canot find a virus or malware on the hdd or other drives

but thanx anyway

If i was you i would go to the Security forum and start a new thread. What you miss someone else could find. It would be worth it to give you secure piece of mind more than anything.

I would scan and create the Hijackthis file in the 8 step removal process, create a new post and add the log along with an explanation just to be sure.

If i was you i would go to the Security forum and start a new thread. What you miss someone else could find. It would be worth it to give you secure piece of mind more than anything.

I would scan and create the Hijackthis file in the 8 step removal process, create a new post and add the log along with an explanation just to be sure.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

Even consider the fact I saw the exact same symptoms on someone else' computer just 2 days ago (btw.. check to see if your Antivirus is really updating.. and when the last day it updated!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back