CMOS Battery location on a Sony GRX500K

By Code Butcher
Dec 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-GRX500K. I always have to set my clock when power it on. I tried to look for the battery, but cant seem to locate it. It's not like my older VAIO PCG-FX190 which was easy to find. Can anyone help me? I'm hoping it's just a button cell like the normal CR2032.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Maybe under the keyboard? You have checked the bottom access covers?
  3. Code Butcher

Code Butcher TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 84

Third place I looked. On my FX190 it was under the top cover. Not the same on my GRX500k.
  4. Tmagic650

So you may have to disassemble down to the bare motherboard. I have seen the CMOS batteries under the LED/switch panel near the top cover hinges
  5. Code Butcher

That's where the battery is on my old FX190, at the top cover. The GRX series are different. I guess I'll have to disassemble the rest of the case. I wonder why they make it so hard to change the CMOS battery? I guess it's so you buy another one in 5 years.

I also have an older Inspiron LT, and the battery is not even a button cell, it's a like a battery pack with a pigtail.
  6. Code Butcher

Update

I found the battery, had to remove the shielding under the keyboard, then a cooling fan assembly. It was tucked underneith the cooling fan assembly towards the back. Now I need to find out where to buy one of these things. It's a 2.4V 15mAh Ni-MH. A couple of sellers on fleabay want $20 shipped, but I hope I can find it cheaper elsewhere.
  7. Tmagic650

$20 shipped is not unreasonable for this model Sony CMOS battery. They should be good for 4 to 6 years
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.