TechSpot

CMOS battery problem

By rohitshakti
Jan 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi friends

Mine PC is running on a AMD quardracore, Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H, 4 GB DDR III 1600 Mhz Corsair Ram & Power supply along with 8400 GT nvidia . This PC has been OC to 3.2 ghz and is currently working at 3.2 ghz.

Recently I was getting BIOS notification to change the battery as everytime the BIOS had to be reset.

I changed the battery 3 days back but again after a day I again started getting the same notification of changing the battery.

Pls tell where could be the problem.

Regards

2. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Posts: 362

Was the battery you replaced the bad one with brand new? Also make sure it is a 3V battery and to be safe, make sure it has the markings 'CR2032" on it (that is what mine has). Other batteries of the same size and voltage MAY be fine, but I can't really vouch for them. Also, if you have one, it might pay to check the batteries voltage with a multimeter.

Also, if you buy a new one, it might pay to make sure that it is meant for a computers motherboard, as some may or may not be, just to be on the safe side. I don't really know a great deal about these batteries.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,063   +169

You might have a bad CMOS clock chip on the motherboard. Older motherboards used to have a 5 volt CMOS battery but as nissanman says, most motherboards now have a 3 volt battery... If you know the replacement CMOS battery is good, the motherboard may need to be replaced

4. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Posts: 362

Tmagic is correct. The problem can also be caused by a bad BIOS chip and/or motherboard. But replace the CMOS battery with another, preferably brand new one. Just to be sure.

5. rohitshakti

rohitshakti TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have today put in a new battery, let's see for how many days it will work. Can jumper setting reset, correct this problem?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.