TechSpot

CMOS checksum error: Default loaded

By LiquidNitrogen
Jun 13, 2006
  1. Hi,
    I have just finish building my first computer. After I powered it on, I was asked to press Del to enter Setup. But when I pressed Del, nothing appeared on the screen. When I restarted the computer, I got this message "CMOS checksum error: Default loaded". When I pressed either F1 or Del, nothing happened. I have not yet installed the OS.
    I'm using the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard, AMD X2 3800+, 2GB of RAM DDR400 (PC3200), SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive.
    All the parts are brand new.
    How do I fix this problem? Thanks a lot

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Could be a RAM problem, try one stick at a time. You can also try them in different slots, and make sure they're seated correctly.

3. kangaruffian

kangaruffian TS Rookie Posts: 212

PSU? Check every wire connection one more time. Try with one memory stick first, might also be your memory doesn't works on default settings

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

As unlikely as it seems with a new motherboard, it could be a bad CMOS battery. If not that, then it could be the power supply as already suggested by kangaruffian.

5. kangaruffian

could be also CMOS jumper in wrong position..

6. LiquidNitrogen

LiquidNitrogen TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried to use one RAM stick at a time, reset the jumper and also checked the PSU connector but I still have the same problem. What else can I do to solve this?

7. kangaruffian

What is ur PSU, brand model? and RAM?.. check 4pin +12v on mobo is it connected too

8. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Are the motherboard stand-offs in place?

9. LiquidNitrogen

I'm using
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W All-In-One Power Supply

10. kangaruffian

Those r good parts so i don't think thats the prob. cos this is your first own build puter i would recommed to check this out http://www.howtobuildyourowncomputer.net/together.htm and go one more time every detail through..
    However it is possible that your mainboard or CPU is faulty.

11. kangaruffian

one more thing.. on videocard PCI-E 6pin connector is it plugged?

12. LiquidNitrogen

I'm using a Geforce 7600 GT so there's no power connector on the board

13. kangaruffian

then i'm outta ideas :(

14. LiquidNitrogen

Does anyone hve any more ideas ? I also tried the out of the case test (using just the mobo, cpu (with heatsink), video card, 1 RAM stick and PSU). I got a screen display, but when I pressed Del to enter Setup the screen went blank. Is it possible that I have a faulty memory stick or sth wrong with my mobo or CPU ?

15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.