TechSpot

CMOS checksum error when i alter settings

By james_k1988
Nov 13, 2005
  1. I recently reset my CMOS (pulled out jumper an put it back in) to attempt to fix a problem. Now i get a message whenever i start saying

CMOS checksum error. Defaults Loaded

Now i have looked around for this proble and i did find lots of cases but none quite the same as mine. I couldnt get this to shift so i decided to update the bios . So i did and hey presto it loaded up without this message.

But...

I am needing to alter some of my BIOS settings. Especailly teh fan control speed (i have another thread about this, seems to be having a CPU temp prob, and a slow fan is all i need :( ). You just set the high, medium and low so the fan knows how fast to spin. But whenever i change this (OR anything in the bios) I get the CMOS Checksum error again. And have to reinstall the bios drivers again to get rid of it. And i am needing to change the fan speed badly. I'm using speedfan just now which is doing fine but would prefer my mobo to do it for me.

Any ideas? puke:

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

You may need a new CMOS battery.

3. james_k1988

james_k1988 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 290

well i only just got he mobo a short while ago, bt the thought did cross my mind. Ill try takin it out an puttin it back in a if that dont help ill jus buy another, thers dead cheap newas lol ill let ya know

although i dont know how the cmos battery can run out jus casue i reset the cmos lol but worth a try. Never know

Cheers m8 ill giv it a try. Jus wanted to make sure there wasnt another simple resolution for this :rolleyes:

4. james_k1988

james_k1988 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 290

i fixed it. was a really stupid problem. so embarrising that im not even gonna say :blush: lol thanx neways guys

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.