Cmos problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gigabyte GA-8simlnf board with p4 2.7 GHz chip on it.
Every time i started the PC, it would switch on, but no VGA signal came on screen. I would have to hold power button in for 10 secs to turn off and then the next time i turn it on it works. I firstly thought it was the ATI AGP Card, so i replaced it with a different card but no difference. Tried a PCI grapics card and it did not get any signal at all. SO then i thought, maybe if i remove the CMOS battery for 30 secs it may clear the bios as maybe there was problem there. I had the power plug in during all this. Now i get "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad" message on bios screen when pc starts up, it says i can press F1 load defaults & Continue to change values and F2 to Setup. f2 does not take me to Bios and when i press F1 all that changes is were the message above also savys F2 : Setup F8: Boot Menu, it changes to F8: Boot>Network.
This is very frustrating, i would appreciate all the help i can get. thanks

Re:

Thanks,
I already tried that. I am getting 2 short beeps and 1 long beep when starting up, i could not get any info on these beeps on AMIBIOS website.
It goes to the bios screen after every other boot up and no matter what i press on keyboard nothing happens.
F1 to load default just changes F12 choice from boot menu to Network Boot,
F2 does not let me into bios and i cannot even get to flash bios as it wont let me boot from floppy

OK - do the shutdown, pull plug stuff and remove your ram and any add-on video card.

Then put it together and try it - what beeps then?

2 short is parity error (usually memory) but can be a video problem too so I read.

AMI doesn't have a 1 long that I can find.

thanks so much for the help u have given me.
I took out vga and Ram and hdd.
Nothing happened jsut board on, no beeps.
Then i put back ram,
still does nothing on 1st boot,
then on 2nd boot i get the following beeps
2 long 8 short 2 long 1 long
What is that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back