Coca-Cola loses most valuable brand title to Apple after 13-year streak

Jos

coca-cola apple

Interbrand has released its latest report on the world’s most valuable brands, and for the first time in thirteen years, Coca-Cola has been unseated from the throne. Instead, Apple moved up a spot to take the lead with a brand value of $98.32 billion, up 28% from 2012. There were five other tech companies in the top ten, which Interbrand says underscores the rising importance technology plays in business as well as consumers' lives.

Coming in second was Google with a brand value of $93.3 billion, well ahead of Coca Cola’s $79.2 billion value, now on the third spot. The soft drink maker’s value actually rose 2%, but it’s rising on a slower curve. IBM was nudged down to No. 4 with $78.8 billion, followed by Microsoft at $59.5 billion, while Samsung and Intel traded positions compared to last year to occupy the eighth and ninth slots respectively.

Interbrand bases its brand value assessment on a firm's financial performance, the role it plays in influencing consumer choice and the strength it has to command a premium price, or secure earnings for the company.

It’s been an extraordinary ride to the top for the Cupertino firm, which ranked 36 and was worth $6.6 billion when the study first launched in 2000. Looking at the last year in particular, Interbrand praises CEO Tim Cook’s ability to assemble a solid team that is aligned around the Apple vision, the consolidation of both hardware and software design under Jonathan Ive, the market challenging performance of its various product lines, and its response to criticism over both innovation and worker conditions with the breakthrough, US-assembled Mac Pro.

Google also received kind words as a true leader of the technology age for treading onto areas like self driving cars and augmented reality glasses -- even if they’re still to prove themselves on the market. Likewise, Samsung is acknowledged as a category leader in mobile, and important player in many other markets.

Among other technology brands that performed well in this year’s report was Facebook, which moved from 69 to 52 and was the biggest gainer in value, up 43% to $7.73 billion. Conversely, Nokia was the biggest faller among the top 100, down 65% to $7.44 billion and now sitting in 57th place, while Canadian firm BlackBerry has disappeared from the list altogether after first tumbling from 56 to 93 last year.

Check out the top ten below or head to Interbrand.com for the full list.

2013 Rank 2012 Rank Brand Country Sector Value (m) Change in value
1 2 Apple US Technology $98,316 28%
2 4 Google US Technology $93,291 34%
3 1 Coca-Cola US Beverages $79,213 2%
4 3 IBM US Business Services $78,808 4%
5 5 Microsoft US Technology $59,546 3%
6 6 GE US Diversified $46,947 7%
7 7 McDonald's US Restaurants $41,992 5%
8 9 Samsung South Korea Technology $39,610 20%
9 8 Intel US Technology $37,257 -5%
10 10 Toyota Japan Automotive $35,346 17%

Permalink to story.

Coca-Cola - screwing up your health across generations. Not much better than tobacco companies.

McDonald's + Coca-Cola = Fat and Stupid, I.e. it takes the latter to gain the first, but they have always been best friends.

techspot said:
Interbrand praises CEO Tim Cook?s ability to assemble a solid team that is aligned around the Apple vision, the consolidation of both hardware and software design under Jonathan Ive, the market challenging performance of its various product lines, and its response to criticism over both innovation and worker conditions with the breakthrough, US-assembled Mac Pro.

What an insult to steve jobs Tim cook did nothing except follow a recipe steve jobs cooked up before he passed, I'm not a apple fanboy by any imagination but I just find it insulting to say Tim Cook got apple to where it is when in fact since Tim Cook took the chair apple is taking the same path when apple kicked steve jobs out of the company.

Because people are smartening up on aspartame???...I hope
Coca-Cola - screwing up your health across generations. Not much better than tobacco companies.

McDonald's + Coca-Cola = Fat and Stupid, I.e. it takes the latter to gain the first, but they have always been best friends.
Coca cola contains neurotoxins and mcdonalds nuggets contain silicon;don't worry the reason this exists is because obama loves you and silicon is good for your health.

McDonalds is switching Happy Meals to water or juice, and not advertising cola's. (You can still request them however.) So healthier choices for kids. That's good!

Now, if someone would make it easy for adults to behave well 'merica might get back into shape ;)

Will only make Apple's second fall more entertaining to watch
I'm a microsoft fan but I don't think apple's second fall as entertaining. those are real jobs by real people and it really hurts to lose a job. healthy competition drives innovation. companies shutting down results in a more fragile economy and probably less jobs for everyone else.

A 200 billion dollar company that got there selling overpriced gadgets to the ignorant masses.

Nexus 7 tablet = 150 euro.
iPhone 5c (the "phone for the masses") = 650 euro. My PC costs less than that and it's no slouch either.

It's a sad day when you see people lining up overnight to get the latest gadgets. The same thing happened here in communism, except we were lining up for food. It takes some serious brainwashing to get people to do that, it's just that the former ones do it on their own accord.

So... Not really happy to see any of these slave drivers in the top 3.

Back