Code 39 error: Mouse not working

My mouse doesn't work. I had a virus, which I successfully removed. The virus apparently corrupted my keyboard and mouse driver. I downloaded a fix that repaired the keyboard driver, but my mouse has gone caput.

Initially after the virus removal, the mouse was working fine. Then one day I booted up and the mouse wouldn't work. Even when I bought a usb mouse, it didn't work.

I'd ordered a usb hub before all this happened. When it arrived I plugged it in, and just for kicks, plugged in a usb mouse. IT WORKED! For about 5 days. Now it doesn't work anymore.

I'm running an HP Pavilion a1319h with WIndows XP Media Center Edition. The system comes with a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

I'v eread online that I need to copy the mouse driver from another installation of Windows. Exactly HOW do I do that? I need step by step instruction here. :haha:

I recently had a new hard drive installed into the system because the original one was damaged. However, the tech was able to salvage the data on my old drive and I can still access it. Would it be possible for me to simply go into the old hard drive, copy the mouse driver from that one and paste it onto the new hard drive?

PLEASE HELP!!

All very strange......

1. What are you using/doing when you say NO mouse will work????

2. You might also check Control Panel->Mouse just to make sure all mouse settings make sense

3. You can check if the virus left any "pieces" behind affecting the mouse driver by opening Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointers category.

> Rt click your mouse->Properties
> Click Driver tab, Driver Details button

You'll see a list of the mouse driver files. For each file, note you'll see file information including the file's Digital Signer. Select each file. Does each file show a digital signer???? or does any file show None (or something similar?)

I checked the Device Manager and I found 2 suspect devices files:

1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Provider: Unknown
File Version: Unknown
Copyright: Unknown
Digital Signer: Not Digitally Signed

2. C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PCTCore.sys
Provider: PC Tools
File Version: 2.0.0.37 built by: WinDDK
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2010 PC Tools. All rights reserved

Any suggestions?

File mouclass.sys SCREAMS suspicious :suspiciou

File mouclass.sys should be a digitally signed driver from no less then Microsoft, themselves!
1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Provider: Unknown
File Version: Unknown
Copyright: Unknown

Let's first try MS System File Checker tool (click here) (Do you still have your XP installation CD? The tool may require it)

SFC tool will check and replace all Windows protected files. I'm not certain if mouclass.sys is protected or not
> In any case, SFC will check and fix all protected files on your PC (which i think is good to do at this point, regardless)
> If that includes mouclass.sys all the better. Otherwise, we'll take another step

From a command line prompt enter: sfc /scannow

When I typed in sfc /scannow, I got a dialog box asking for the Windows Professional Service Pack 3 CD. I have 3 HP System Recovery Discs and the HP Media Center PC Supplemental Recovery Disc. Would any of these be the discs I need?

Ughhh...

I'm not sure those disks will work with Microsoft's System File Checker tool. I'll have to check... If need be will check see for another reliable source for that file...

In any event, will likely not get back to you till sometime tomorrow (well, my tommorrow here in US.. not sure where you're geo-located :) )

by the way...

So do you have a method to move your mouse at the moment?

I ask so i know if you can easily run any Windows based tools (as may include the need for a mouse to work)

So let me know if I can assume you can manage to have a working mouse long enough to run a Windows based tool or not

/* edit */
Oh. i just re-read your first post and had missed you may have a copy of the driver on your old disk. Do you have a method to easily read your old drive? (e.g. using a USB enclosure?) If you don't know what i mean or aren't sure, let me know. I'll follow up tomorrow with more info

I can't move the mouse at all. I've been using the tab key to get around.

And, I'm not sure what you mean by a USB enclosure.

OK. I spoke to a friend who told me that I should just be able to copy the mouclass file from my old hard drive since I could still see it and VOILA! It worked!!!! My mouse is back!!!

THANX SO MUCH for all your help!!!!

My mouse doesn't work. I had a virus, which I successfully removed. The virus apparently corrupted my keyboard and mouse driver. I downloaded a fix that repaired the keyboard driver, but my mouse has gone caput.

Initially after the virus removal, the mouse was working fine. Then one day I booted up and the mouse wouldn't work. Even when I bought a usb mouse, it didn't work.

I'd ordered a usb hub before all this happened. When it arrived I plugged it in, and just for kicks, plugged in a usb mouse. IT WORKED! For about 5 days. Now it doesn't work anymore.

I'm running an HP Pavilion a1319h with WIndows XP Media Center Edition. The system comes with a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

I'v eread online that I need to copy the mouse driver from another installation of Windows. Exactly HOW do I do that? I need step by step instruction here. :haha:

I recently had a new hard drive installed into the system because the original one was damaged. However, the tech was able to salvage the data on my old drive and I can still access it. Would it be possible for me to simply go into the old hard drive, copy the mouse driver from that one and paste it onto the new hard drive?

PLEASE HELP!!

hmm i think you should also consider having an updated mouse driver. Sometimes wrong drivers can make your mouse act erratically or not work at all.

PLEASE HELP!!

hmm i think you should also consider having an updated mouse driver. Sometimes wrong drivers can make your mouse act erratically or not work at all.

Back